Adelaide Zoo is currently looking for an experienced, motivated and enthusiastic Keeper to join the Nature Theatre/Animal Presentations team. This includes playing an integral part in free flight and wild show presentations. The role will be offered on a permanent full time basis (over a 7 day roster).
This is an exciting time at the Adelaide Zoo, with a number of significant projects planned for the near future. Zoos SA, Adelaide and South Australia offer a great opportunity for a career in a Zoological setting. Ready access to the Australian wilds, a great and affordable quality of life, and a position in a forward-facing and growing conservation organisation make for a very attractive opportunity.
ABOUT THE ROLE...
The successful candidate will be guided by Zoos SA's values and work with keeping teams in the Curatorial Department to achieve goals set out in the Strategic and Business Plans. In addition, you will, under general supervision and within specified guidelines, perform all keeping duties in a safe, efficient and effective manner.
Excellent communication skills, as well as an ability to work well within a team, as well as work independently, are all essential. Keeper presentations and guest interactions during animal-visitor encounters and behind-the-scenes tours require the candidates to have the ability to provide engaging and professional connections with our visitors. Animal training skills and basic maintenance and tool use skills are highly desirable.
As part of our Curatorial Department team, day to day tasks may include:
- Undertaking daily operations and husbandry duties;
- Providing input into exhibit and enclosure planning, development, design and maintenance, ensuring animal husbandry and welfare standards are met and relevant protocols are followed;
- Liaising closely with the Assistant Curator, Curator, and external partners with regards to conservation initiatives;
- Participating in the implementation and monitoring of behavioural enrichment and training and conditioning programs to affect animal behaviour and allow routine animal examinations and procedures without distress;
- Undertaking presentations and 'Keeper Talks', which may involve the ethical handling of animals, presenting to public groups and responding to questions;
- Working consistently in accordance with established safety procedures to ensure animal security, personal safety, protection of co-workers and the public;
- Working in line with relevant Policy and Procedures/Standard Operating Procedures; and
- As a keeper at Adelaide Zoo you may be required to work in other sections of the Curatorial Department as the business needs demand.
The successful candidate will have/be -
- Extensive experience working within a zoological setting;
- Proven experience in animal training with a variety of taxa;
- Certificate III in Captive Animals or other relevant and acceptable Zoo Keeping qualifications;
- The ability to arrange personal work routines and practices to make optimum use of time;
- Knowledge and experience in the management of a large range of species, management systems and conservation programs for animals in human care; and
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills with external stakeholders, peers, staff, volunteers and public with the ability to deliver public presentations and review visitor experiences.
HOW TO APPLY...
Please complete the requested work history & education information on the application page, attach your resume and any certificates in the education section. This will assist us in assessing your suitability for this role.
Please visit the Careers section of the Zoos SA website to apply.
Zoos SA is passionately committed to equal employment opportunity. We believe diversity, inclusion and reconciliation are fundamental to our rich organisational culture and values, and we demonstrate this commitment through all our employment practices so that our people continue to reflect the local communities in which we work.
If you have a strong passion for animal welfare, species conservation and an eagerness to support the operation of a major Zoo's Keeping team, we would love to hear from you!