This is an exciting time at the Adelaide Zoo, with a number of significant projects planned for the near future. Zoos SA, Adelaide and South Australia offer a great opportunity for a career in a Zoological setting. Ready access to the Australian wilds, a great and affordable quality of life, and a position in a forward-facing and growing conservation organisation make for a very attractive opportunity.
Adelaide Zoo is looking for an experienced, motivated and enthusiastic Senior Keeper to lead and inspire the team. The role is based within the Herpetofauna team and will be offered on a permanent full-time capacity (over a 7-day roster).
ABOUT THE ROLE...
The successful candidates will be guided by Zoos SA's values and work with the keeping teams to achieve the goals set out in the Strategic and Business Plans. In addition, they will, under general supervision and within specified guidelines, perform all keeping duties in a safe, efficient and effective manner.
Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and independently are essential. Keeper presentations and guest interactions on encounters and behind-the-scenes tours require providing engaging and professional connections with our visitors. Training and conditioning skills and basic maintenance skills are highly desirable.
As part of our Life Sciences team, day-to-day tasks may include:
- Undertaking daily operations and husbandry duties;
- Providing input into exhibit and enclosure planning, development, design and maintenance, ensuring animal husbandry and welfare standards are met and relevant protocols followed;
- Liaising closely with the Assistant Curator, Curator, and external partners about conservation initiatives;
- Participating in the implementation and monitoring of behavioural enrichment and training and conditioning programs to affect animal behaviour and allow routine examinations and procedures without distress;
- Undertaking informal presentations and 'Keeper Talks', which may involve animal handling, presenting to public groups and responding to questions;
- Working consistently in accordance with established safety procedures to ensure animal security, personal safety, protection of co-workers and the public;
- Working in line with relevant Policies and Procedures/Standard Operating Procedures; and
- As a keeper at Adelaide Zoo, you may be required to work in other sections of the Curatorial Department as the business needs demand.
The successful candidate will have/be -
- Extensive experience working within a zoological setting is required;
- Significant knowledge and experience working with a variety of reptiles, amphibians, fish and native species
- Experience with venomous and dangerous animals (desirable)
- Previous experience in animal training and excellent presentation skills are desirable;
- Certificate III in Captive Animals or other relevant and acceptable Zoo Keeping qualifications;
- The ability to arrange personal work routines and practices to make optimum use of time;
- Knowledge and experience in the captive management of a large range of species, management systems and conservation programs; and
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills with external stakeholders, peers, staff, volunteers and the public, with the ability to deliver public presentations and review visitor experiences.
HOW TO APPLY...
Please complete the requested work history and education information on the application page at www.zoossa.com.au/careers. You are welcome to include any certificates in the education section, as this will assist us in assessing your suitability for this role.
Zoos SA is passionately committed to equal employment opportunity. We believe diversity, inclusion and reconciliation are fundamental to our rich organisational culture and values, and we demonstrate this commitment through all our employment practices so that our people continue to reflect the local communities in which we work.
If you have a strong passion for animal welfare, and species conservation and an eagerness to support the operation of a major Zoo's Keeping team, we would love to hear from you!
Applications close 24th November 2023
No Recruitment Agencies