Curator of Ectotherms (ref old req 7473)
He angitūtanga: The opportunity
Auckland is a global city with stunning scenery, wonderful beaches and sub-tropical islands. It is also a city with one of the most progressive zoos in the world. At Auckland Zoo, wildlife conservation and environmental sustainability is at the very heart of what we do.
Our mission is “to bring people together to build a future for wildlife” and we do this by demonstrating exceptional care for wildlife, inspiring our visitors to value wildlife, conserving wildlife in the wild and building a high-performance organisation.
An ambitious capital development programme was recently initiated, one which will deliver new infrastructure across the zoo and a remarkable transformation to much of the site – this is our #FutureZoo.
We are currently seeking a Curator of Ectotherms to contribute to the zoo’s operational and strategic development in three core areas of responsibility:
• Managing the zoo’s ectotherms and respective Team Leader - ensuring excellence in husbandry and welfare; maximising our contribution to native recovery programmes; maintaining innovative and imaginative exhibits.
• Developing, managing and delivering a portfolio of ectotherm-focussed domestic and international field projects.
• Advancing the team/department/zoo’s scientific credentials through research and publication.
He kōrero mōu: About you
As a senior member of the Animal Care & Conservation department, the Curator of Ectotherms will be expected to work closely with other senior members of the Animal Care & Conservation team as well as leading two direct reports and up to ten animal keeping staff. You will lead and manage relevant projects with diverse team members, both internal and external, to deliver high quality innovative projects which deliver tangible conservation benefits.
You will be ambitious and creative, realistic and solution focussed, and a skilled communicator, adept at coaxing the best from everyone in your team.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following qualifications and experience:
• Minimum 10 years taxonomically relevant zoo and/or field conservation programme experience, coupled with extensive and proven staff leadership experience.
• Demonstrable knowledge of intensive species management and animal collection planning.
• Experience of planning and delivering field programmes.
• Relevant tertiary qualification in biological/ecological/conservation sciences – additionally a post-graduate qualification in biological or conservation science would be an advantage.
• Demonstrable familiarity with the aims and activities of recognised conservation bodies such as the IUCN, CPSG and NZ Department of Conservation.
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What we offer
This is a unique career opportunity working within the lush, green environment of Auckland Zoo and the varied landscapes of Aotearoa New Zealand.
We offer a competitive remuneration package, generous holiday allowance, and the pleasure of working in an award-winning new building at the Zoo. You will also have access to the full range of Auckland Council benefits – we have a range of discounts and deals with corporate suppliers which cover financial services, health, retail and hospitality discounts to name a few.
A relocation package will be offered to the successful applicant including assistance through the visa process. But the key benefit of this role is the ability to make it your own.
We're a close-knit team that is passionate about Auckland Zoo’s mission and we’re looking for like-minded individuals who share our values. For the right talented and committed individual, this will be your dream job.
Applications close: 24th January 2021
Apply through the following link: Curator of Ectotherms
This is a permanent, full-time position, working 40 hours mostly Monday to Friday.
Please note, you will be required to undertake occasional work outside of normal office hours, including weekends and public holidays.
This position is deemed a safety sensitive position and will require pre-employment drug testing.
Auckland Unlimited is a Council Controlled Organisation and part of Auckland Council and an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and we are committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application to assist you through the recruitment process.