Australia Zoo has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced elephant husbandry person to join our team. To be part of the team you’ll need to have a positive, open minded, ‘can-do’ attitude with very strong communication and teamwork skills.
This position provides the opportunity to work with our beautiful elephants as we continue to develop Australia Zoo’s Sumatran elephant programme. Additionally you will work with us to continue advancing ‘Africa’ Department husbandry programmes with our collection of large hoof-stock, carnivores and small primates.
A minimum of 3 years' experience working directly in the care of elephants in a similar role would be preferred.
Essential is a demonstrated ability in the behavioural training of elephants either free contact or protected contact.
As an experienced keeper you will share responsibility for all aspects of animal care, including maintaining health parameters for the elephants, daily cleaning and feeding regimes, upkeep of animal records and maintenance of hygiene; animal training; working to strict safety protocols and standard operation procedures. With a mission to exceed guest expectations and work towards the future, you’ll help to create magical moments for our guests to treasure by delivering great customer service and Zoo guest experiences.
At Australia Zoo, keepers continually work towards providing excellent facilities and care for their animals. They do this with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training.
This is a very physical role and the successful applicant will need to have a high level of physical fitness.
You must be flexible in your working hours and willing to work weekends and Public Holidays.
This Department is a non-smoking environment and this must be taken into consideration when applying for this position.
- Minimum of 3 years previous experience working with large animals gained in a zoo environment
- Good overall knowledge of elephant natural history and husbandry management
- Sound knowledge of animals behavioural training methodologies and a demonstrated ability to apply them with elephants in a free contact or protected contact situation
- High level of physical fitness
- Committed, passionate and hard working
- Experience in working with elephants in a free contact or protected contact situation.
- Comfortable and confident in using simple light machinery.
- Experience in animal enclosure design.
- Experience in the use of ZIMS animal record keeping programme.
- Knowledge of plant identification.
- Manual Driver’s License.
- Confident in driving vehicles off-road.
Please send a cover letter and resume through to Erika Cotterill, Recruitment Coordinator at email@example.com by COB 24th November 2019. Applications will be assessed as they are received.