Reptile Keeper (Full-time)
“Our goal is to provide a quality interactive experience between people and wild animals for the promotion of respect, empathy and understanding. We contribute to the survival of the environments that we ultimately share with them”
Ballarat Wildlife Park is a successful family business that has been operating for over 33 years and is one of Victoria’s most interactive and growing conservation Parks. A fully accredited ZAA Wildlife Park, we have recently undergone expansion including the construction of a number of new exhibits and planning is currently underway for future development.
We are seeking to fill a full-time keeping position which will involve the care, continued training, and daily husbandry of the reptile and amphibian collection including: native and exotic venomous snakes, large monitors, boas, and crocodilians. This is a great opportunity to be part of a friendly team environment and iconic Ballarat attraction.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to work with a variety of species by providing them with the highest standard of care as well as supporting the family’s values and their conservation objectives. The applicant must be committed to the maintenance and development of the conservation efforts of the Park, ZAA and its ASMPs.
The candidate will need to maintain cleanliness and presentation of exhibits and off-exhibit areas, keep accurate animal records, assist with the supervision of volunteers/interns/work-experience students, and interact with visitors, among other duties.
This is a full-time position (5 days per week) including work on weekends and holidays.
• Minimum 2 years’ experience with the care of reptiles & amphibians in a zoological setting
• Knowledge of the captive husbandry of reptiles & amphibians, including crocodilians
• Understanding of filtration systems, water quality, heating and lighting
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent personal presentation and a good level of fitness
• A strong, safety-conscious focus
• An ability to ensure that best practice animal husbandry is applied at all times
• Commitment and dedication to conservation
• Demonstrated ability to work productively, both individually and in a small team
• Excellent time management and observational skills
• Effective public speaking skills, and a willingness to conduct public presentations and tours for both for entertainment, and the promotion of a sympathetic view to interpret animal behaviour and conservation
• Current driver’s license (manual preferred) and own reliable transport
These duties are intended to give a scope of the nature of work, however you will also be required to perform other tasks that are within the applicant’s competency and skills as required from time to time.
Applicants must be fit and very capable of hard work in all types of weather. Applicants must be mature minded and trustworthy, be willing to work closely and respectfully with other colleagues as well as the family who owns the Park, and demonstrate a commitment to the Tourism and Hospitality Industry and above all; to animal welfare.
• Certificate III in Captive Animals or equivalent
• Experience working with venomous snakes with an excellent safety record
• Previous experience with the captive management of crocodilians
• Current basic first aid training
Please apply for this position with a cover letter.
Within the letter please outline:
• Your experience and what you have achieved within the Zoo Industry
• State any existing medical conditions that may prevent you from performing any of the tasks listed above
This role will include a 6-month probationary period. Please email your cover letter, current resume, and at least 2 applicable referees to Ballarat Wildlife Park: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5pm, Monday 18th March 2020