Tiger Keeper (Full-time)
“Our goal is to provide a quality interactive experience between people and wild animals for the promotion of respect, empathy and understanding. We contribute to the survival of the environments that we ultimately share with them”
Ballarat Wildlife Park is a successful family business that has been operating for over 33 years and is one of Victoria’s most interactive and growing conservation Parks. A fully accredited ZAA Wildlife Park, we have recently undergone expansion including the construction of a number of new exhibits and planning is currently underway for future development.
We are seeking to fill a full-time Keeping position which will involve the care, continued training, conditioning, and breeding management of our two tigers as well as helping to care for several other species within the Park. This is a great opportunity to be part of a friendly team environment and iconic Ballarat Attraction.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to work with a variety of species by providing them with the highest standard of care as well as supporting the family’s values and their conservation objectives. The applicant must be committed to the maintenance and development of the conservation efforts of the Park, ZAA and its ASMPs.
The candidate will be responsible for the animal’s exhibits, immediate surroundings, maintenance and landscaping to management approved plans. The candidate will be responsible for daily demonstrations and conducting tours as required.
A minimum of 4 years’ experience working with Big Cats is highly desirable.
Firearms License Category A, B, & C is desired, but not essential.
Primary duties will include:
• Provide approved animal enrichment
• Undertake public presentations, tours, and deliver demonstrations internally and externally
• Preparation of food for animals under guidance of the Park’s policies as well as butchering and processing meat and daily administration of vitamin supplements
• Assisting in sourcing the most cost effective supplies
• Assist with veterinary care where needed
• Provide excellent customer care and maintain our high level of care and service to our guests
• Knowledge of advanced husbandry requirements
• Cleaning and maintenance of the animal enclosures on a daily basis
• Conducting animal health checks
• Maintaining daily records of observations as well as behaviour and submitting a weekly report on animals
• Conduct enclosure safety checks
• Work within guidelines of Occupational Health and Safety requirements
• Participate in staff training and embrace performance reviews as requested by the Park and Human Resources Department
• Attend and participate in meetings when requested by your supervisor or management
These duties are intended to give a scope of the nature of work, however you will also be required to perform other tasks that are within the applicant’s competency and skills as required from time to time.
Applicants must be fit and very capable of hard work in all types of weather. Applicants must be mature minded and trustworthy, be willing to work closely and respectfully with other colleagues as well as the family who owns the Park, and demonstrate a commitment to the Tourism and Hospitality Industry and above all; to animal welfare.
• Minimum of 12 months previous experience working with Big Cats
• Own transport and full driver’s license (manual preferred)
• Live within 30km of Ballarat Wildlife Park (or be willing to relocate)
• Strong communication skills
• 7 days a week availability including weekends, public holidays, and school holidays (annual leave or other time off must be applied for at least 3 weeks prior to the leave commencing and is subject to management approval). Rostered time off each week is incorporated into your roster.
• Excellent time management skills
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Superior customer service skills
Please apply for this position with a cover letter.
Within the letter please outline:
• Your experience and what you have achieved within the Zoo Industry
• State any existing medical conditions that may prevent you from performing any of the tasks listed above
Applicants will be required to have 2 interviews which may be conducted over the phone or via skype if required. This role will include a 6-month probationary period.
Please send your cover letter, current resume, and at least 2 applicable referees to the General Manager of the Ballarat Wildlife Park, Julia Leonard at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5pm, Monday 18th March 2020