Billabong Sanctuary is a privately owned and managed wildlife park being established and operated by the present owners for 38 years.
Billabong Sanctuary is customer focused, delivering the best interactive wildlife experience in Australia. The Sanctuary has Advanced Accreditation with the Eco Tourism Association and is involved in captive breeding programmes for endangered species.
We pride ourselves on our family culture where you are valued, supported and empowered to contribute, and where high performance and innovation is encouraged.
Position Type: Full time 38 hours. Permanent
About the role
Billabong Sanctuary has an exciting opportunity to join our small and dedicated team.
The ideal candidate will have documented and proven experience with:
• Environmental and behavioural requirements of mammals
• Understanding of animal welfare
• Management of visitor experience with mammal interactions.
• Liaising with Curator and Senior Ranger, you will be required to meet “Key Accountabilities”
• As Mammals keeper, you will be responsible for working alongside other keepers with the Sanctuary’s collection of native animals.
• Ensuring a high standard of daily cleaning, maintenance of enclosures, conducting animal health checks
• Overseeing the optimum diet and nutrition of all mammals
• Shared fauna presentations of mammals, birds and reptiles with other keepers.
• Lessons to school groups and group tours with visitors
To succeed in this role, you will need:
• Certificate 111 in Captive Animals or tertiary qualifications such as Zoology Degree
• Minimum of 1 years paid experience with Australian mammals
• Be fit for physical work in a North Qld environment, enthusiastic, mature-minded, confident, well presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work ethic and initiative
• Excellent public speaking and visitor services skills
• Computer skills with record keeping on Species 360
• 7 day a week availability including weekends, public holidays and school holidays
• Hold a driver’s license and own transport
• Current first aid certificate, hold a blue card and vaccination against zoonotic diseases – hep a, hep b and Q fever
• Be an Australian resident or have a work permit to work within Australia.
What we offer:
• Billabong Sanctuary recognises the importance of diversity with the opportunity to experience working with a wide range of Australian native fauna
• A workplace that promotes our core brand values to our customers, employees and fauna
Email your resume and a separate letter outlining how you meet all the above criteria.
Email the General Manager – Bob Flemming
Applications close 19th March, 2023.