At Adelaide and Monarto Zoo, we’re proud to welcome more than half a million people through our gates each year and we’re not slowing down. With the roll out of our 20-Year Master Plan and a number of exciting projects on the horizon, we’re thrilled to be expanding and evolving our workforce to position us for continued growth into the future.
ABOUT THE ROLE…
Zoos SA is looking for experienced, motivated and enthusiastic keepers to register their interest for casual work at Adelaide Zoo & Monarto Zoo.
The successful candidate will be guided by Zoos SA’s values and work with the keeping teams to achieve the goals set out in the Strategic and Business Plans. In addition, they will, under general supervision and within specified guidelines, perform all keeping duties in a safe, efficient and effective manner. Experience working with a variety of animals is advantageous.
As part of our Life Sciences team, day to day tasks may include:
- Have excellent communication skills as well as the ability to work well within a team and independently.
- Obtain, prepare and provide food to animals in accordance with established diets, feeding schedules and procedures.
- Clean food and water vessels, holding areas, exhibits and food preparation and storage areas to required standards, ensure animal areas are maintained free of debris and hazardous materials.
- Undertaking informal presentations and ‘Keeper Talks’, presenting to public groups and responding to questions.
- Participate in the implementation and monitoring of behavioural enrichment and training & conditioning programs to effect animal behaviour in a positive nature.
- Provide the highest level of animal husbandry.
- Working consistently in accordance with established safety procedures to ensure animal security, personal safety, protection of co-workers and the public.
- Working in line with relevant Policy and Procedures/Standard Operating Procedures and providing feedback and proactive suggestions for change as required.
To be considered for this position you will need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Have or be working towards Certificate III in Captive Animals or other relevant and acceptable Zoo Keeping experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of Workplace Health & Safety principles and process.
- Ability to deliver informative and engaging presentations that relay our conservation messaging.
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills with peers, staff, volunteers and public.
HOW TO APPLY…
Please complete the requested work history & education information on the application page, attach your resume and any certificates in the education section. This will assist us in assessing your suitability for this role.
If you are an excellent keeper with a passion in animal welfare and species conservation, we would love to hear from you!
Please visit the Careers section of the Zoos SA website to apply.