“To engage and inspire people to conserve marine animals and their environment for future generations through interactive education and entertainment”
Department: Life Science
Reports To: Manager of Life Sciences (MLS)/Head Trainer (HT)
The role of the Animal Trainer is to work effectively and efficiently within the Marine Division of Dolphin Marine Conservation park by maintaining a high standard of care/husbandry of all animals, a high standard of training and conditioning practices for the marine mammals and conveying all DMCP conservation and education messages.
The position is to have demonstrated animal keeping and conditioning skill; good oral and written communication skills and the ability to confidently interact with visitors in presentations and interactions; and the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
The Marine Mammal Trainer at this grade will possess:
- Possess a working knowledge of the biology and behaviour of pinnipeds and cetaceans and a keen interest in their conservation needs.
- A minimum 1 years full time experience in operant conditioning training techniques with marine mammals
- Excellent communication, customer relations and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adapt and master new techniques and procedures within a reasonable time span.
- A strong work ethic
- Reliability and Punctuality
- Ability to deal with a wide range of people including people of different religions, nationality, people with disabilities, school children etc.
- Ability to maintain a high standard of personal presentation
- A passion for the conservation of the world’s marine environment
- A good level of fitness including ability to lift and carry up to 20kg and ability to bend and squat
- Ability to pass Dolphin Marine Conservation park swim test: (Swim 15m underwater in single breath, retrieve object from the bottom of 3.5m pool, swim 50m and tread water for 5 minutes with hands out of water)
- Ability to work weekends, public holidays and school holidays
- Hold (or ability to acquire) a current class C NSW Drivers Licence
- Current (or ability to acquire) Working With Children Check
- Tetanus vaccinations up-to-date
This job description provides a description of the principle elements of this position. All job descriptions are subject to change.
Email Tiga Cross [email protected]