Halls Gap Zoo is situated in the foothills of the Grampians Mountain ranges, Victoria, Australia. Our collection comprises 150 species of native and exotic mammals, reptiles and birds.
We are currently seeking an experienced keeper to work mainly with our native collection. Working as part of a small, friendly team you will have genuine opportunities to implement new ideas to the zoo, contribute to breeding programmes and make a difference. The species within this include Dingos, Devils, various species of wallabies, Quolls, Emus, Wombats, Bilbies, Kangaroos and more. Experience is advantageous. Immediate start desirable.
Duties of the position will include:
• Daily food preparation, presentation, and husbandry for a variety of species.
• Animal observation and record keeping.
• Involvement in breeding, behavioural enrichment, and conditioning programs.
• Assistance in animal capture and veterinary procedures.
• Public animal encounters.
Desirable skills and attributes:
• Zoo-keeping experience or Certificate III in Zoo Keeping, Animal Management (Captive Wild Animals) or equivalent would be advantageous as role flexibility is valued.
• Proactive in identifying husbandry and enclosure related issues.
• Experience in training and conditioning.
• Knowledge of behavioural and environmental enrichment techniques.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to interact with guests to provide an educational experience.
• Mature team player with a positive attitude.
• Hep A and B vaccinations. Rabies vaccination would be advantageous.
• Current unencumbered Full driver's licence.
• Current First Aid certificate.
• High level of physical fitness for a physically demanding job. We are looking for an individual who is not afraid of hard work.
• Basic maintenance skills (fencing, chain-saw certificate)
Hours of work: Part of a rolling 4-week roster, 8 hour shifts (7.30 am to 4pm or 9am to 5.30pm) Must be able to work weekends and public holidays.
To apply, please forward a cover letter introducing yourself and a current resume with professional references to: [email protected]
Applications close 23rd January 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.