Halls Gap Zoo is situated in the foothills of the Grampians Mountain ranges, Victoria, Australia. Our collection comprises of over 150 species of native and exotic mammals, reptiles and birds. We are currently seeking expressions of interest for a supervisor to join our team. Experience with a range of species is highly advantageous, as this role will provide the opportunity to work with an extensive collection and may require flexibility. A previous supervisory or leadership role is essential. Immediate start desirable.
Duties of the position will include:
• Daily food preparation, presentation, and husbandry for a variety of species.
• Ordering food for over 600 animals (Fruit, veg, hay, insects, supplements etc)
• Animal observation and record keeping.
• Supervising the health and wellbeing of all animals and staff.
• Ability to supervise and lead current staff.
• Overseeing 6 rounds including kitchen (150 species and over 600 animals)
• Involvement in breeding, behavioural enrichment, and conditioning programs.
• Assistance in animal capture and veterinary procedures.
• Public animal encounters.
• Implementing and overseeing animal husbandry and animal health.
• Management meetings – providing feedback from the team to management.
• Working in line with current Policy and Procedures and providing feedback and suggestions for change as required.
• Manual work and exhibit maintenance
• Leading team catch ups and working closely with management.
Desirable skills and attributes:
• Zoo-keeping experience or Certificate III in Zoo Keeping, Animal Management (Captive Wild Animals) or equivalent would be advantageous as role flexibility is valued.
• Previous experience managing a team
• Ability to make optimum use of time and work well under pressure.
• Proactive in identifying husbandry and enclosure related issues.
• Experience in training and conditioning.
• Good capture and restraint techniques of various species (snakes, lizards, monitors, birds, macropods, tassie devils, quolls and wombats.
• Knowledge of behavioural and environmental enrichment techniques.
• Great team management skills including working alongside other supervisors.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Familiarity and ability to use ZIMS
• Ability to interact with guests to provide a safe and educational experience.
• Mature team player with a positive attitude.
• Hep A and B vaccinations. Rabies vaccination would be advantageous.
• Current unencumbered Full drivers’ licence.
• Current First Aid certificate.
• High level of physical fitness for a physically demanding job. We are a small team with a challenging workload, we are looking for an individual who is not afraid of hard work.
• Basic maintenance skills (fencing, chain-saw certificate)
• Firearms licence
Hours of work: Minimum of 16 days as part of a rolling 4-week roster, 8-hour shifts (7.30 am to 4pm or 9am to 5.30pm)
Must be able to work weekends and public holidays. Salary is dependent on experience.
To apply, please forward a cover letter introducing yourself and a current resume with professional references to: [email protected]
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.