Halls Gap Zoo is situated in the foothills of the Grampians Mountain ranges, Victoria, Australia. Our collection comprises 150 species of native and exotic mammals, reptiles and birds.
We are currently seeking an experienced keeper to work mainly with our Ungulate collection. Working as part of a small, friendly team you will have genuine opportunities to implement new ideas to the zoo, contribute to breeding programmes and make a difference. The species within this include Rhino, Giraffe, American Bison, Water Buffalo, Himalayan Tahr, Barbary Sheep and more. Experience is advantageous. Immediate start desirable.
Duties of the position will include:
• Daily food preparation, presentation, and husbandry for a variety of species.
• Animal observation and record keeping.
• Involvement in breeding, behavioural enrichment, and conditioning programs.
• Assistance in animal capture and veterinary procedures.
• Public animal encounters.
• While Ungulates will be your primary focus, you will be trained across other rounds to assist the team as required.
Desirable skills and attributes:
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Zoo-keeping.
• Willing to be flexible on the rostered round and through the day to assist the team as required.
• Proactive in identifying husbandry and enclosure related issues.
• Experience in training and conditioning.
• Knowledge of behavioural and environmental enrichment techniques.
• Ability to interact with guests to provide an educational experience.
• Mature team player with proof of a positive attitude with visitors and driven to connect our visitors with our wildlife.
• Current unencumbered Full drivers’ licence.
• High level of physical fitness for a physically demanding job. We are a small team with a challenging workload, we are looking for an individual who is not afraid of hard work.
Hours of work: Part of a rolling 4-week roster, 8 hour shifts (7.30 am to 4pm or 9am to 5.30pm) Must be able to work weekends and public holidays.
To apply, please forward a cover letter introducing yourself and a current resume with professional references to: [email protected]
Only short listed applicants will be contacted.