Hamilton Island is the Whitsunday’s Premiere Island resort with 4 resort options, over 15 different dining and restaurant establishments, a championship golf course, a luxury Yacht Club and myriad of activities to ensure our guests can do as much or as little as they like.
The Hamilton Island Wildlife Park is an island favourite particularly for the many visiting families. Here our guests can get up close and personal with our native wildlife from the friendly Koalas, Wallabies and Kangaroos to the not so friendly Dingos, Crocs, Reptiles and Cassowaries.
Head Animal Keeper
A rare opportunity is now available for an experienced and qualified Head Animal Keeper to join and lead of team of dedicated keepers who love spending their time looking after our wildlife and sharing their knowledge with our guests.
• $1500 Qld Government Work in Paradise initiative
• Competitive salary and subsidised furnished sole staff accommodation
• Staff perks - $10 gym membership, discounts on restaurants and activities!
• Fantastic work culture and supportive community
• Walk to work along palm fringed paths- forget city traffic
• Enjoy living and working on the doorstep of the Great Barrier Reef!
About The Role
As Head Keeper reporting directly to the Operations Manager you will be responsible for delivering best practice animal husbandry and welfare. Maintaining the highest quality live animal exhibits, public presentations and interactive opportunities. Engaging the public and educating guests on native Australian Fauna and assisting the Director of Operations with innovative exhibit development to enhance overall guest experience at the Wildlife Park.
You will also:
• Ensure collection management plan is adhered to
• Building relationships with relevant external
• Provide critical species knowledge relative to each species kept on premises and work closely with the animal keeping team
• Update and maintain all records relevant to the care and husbandry practise of all the animals held in the WLHI collection
• Maintain and develop diet sheets for all species held at the park
• Assist with permit and legislative matters in line with animal collection, movements and transactions
• Ensure the safety of animals, guests and staff at all times by following company OH&S policy and procedures
• Collection of Koala Leaf and Macropod brows as and when needed and ensuring other sufficient feed supplies
• Report any animal welfare or illness concerns
• Coach and mentor fellow members of the team on clinical and animal care procedure
• Maintain operating costs in line with budget
You are an enthusiastic and natural leader, physically fit and have strong communication and time management skills. You are passionate about native wildlife and love sharing your enthusiasm and knowledge with visitors.
In addition you will have:
• QLD Driver’s Licence
• Previous experience in similar role
• Tertiary qualifications in animal husbandry/zoology or have relevant experience or qualifications in captive animal management with a strong background in Australian Mammals
• Ability to satisfy the requirements of a QLD Working with Children Check
• Ability to train others in handling/presentation of lethal hazardous animals where appropriate
• Current Q Fever vaccination and Tetanus shot
Click APPLY NOW via the link to take the next step in your career and lifestyle
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/HIERecruitment
Follow us on Linkedin www.linkedin.com/company/hamilton-island