- Fixed term full-time contract - 12 months
- Based at Healesville Sanctuary
- Salary $85,128 p.a. + 9.5% superannuation includes loading for working 1 weekend day/week
- Open to Post Trade Level Keepers
Zoos Victoria operates world-class zoos on three sites: Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Our Moral Purpose is - Fighting Extinction and creating a future rich in wildlife. Our vision is to be a world leading zoo-based conservation organisation, working locally and globally to deliver tangible conservation outcomes.
Zoos Victoria has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, ambitious and highly motivated person to join organisation as Specialist Keeper - Amphibians based at Healesville Sanctuary. The Specialist Keeper - Amphibians will be responsible for the implementation of specific projects in line with conservation actions detailed in ZV Wildlife Conservation Master Plan 2 (2019-24). These projects call on the expertise of the nominated Amphibian Specialist Keeper to ensure that recovery objectives are met and progressed with the ultimate goal of improving wild population recovery. The projects can take on a variety of forms from taxonomic adviser to the Life Science Manager to developing Conservation Breeding Programs for data deficient species or assisting stakeholders to address research questions. The requirement for this level of expertise will be ongoing for the life of the priority ZV Fighting Extinction, Amphibian Recovery Program and Bushfire Response Plan to Future Proofing Victoria's Native Frogs.
Candidates must have a genuine interest in conservation and ecology, and possess prior experience working with amphibians in a zoo/captive environment, along with knowledge of Zoo Victoria's philosophy and vision. The Amphibian Specialist Keeper will have experience working in a fast-paced team environment as well as confidence in working independently. A positive mature attitude and enthusiasm to learn and develop your career and capacity to continuously improve the department is essential. The Keeper will utilize evidence-based husbandry techniques to ensure the positive welfare state of animals in their care.
The candidate will have:
Experience as an animal keeper with expertise in ectotherm husbandry across a range of taxa, ideally including leadership experience and a role in captive insurance populations.
- Demonstrated technical skills in the area of exhibit design and construction including the environmental management of microhabitats, and life support systems for amphibians.
- Experience in breeding and raising captive amphibians and proven ability to raise and resolve animal welfare issues with the objectives of Zoos Victoria.
- Proven working knowledge of biosecure hygiene management and exceptional procedural standards
- Demonstrated excellence in both verbal and written communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to foster and develop staff expertise and engage with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Proven ability to implement effective work practices that adhere to OH&S standards and other relevant legislative requirements.
- Qualifications in a zoological related discipline.
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of animal programs such as ZIMS
- Open-mindedness and a willingness to accept new ideas and perspective and a desire to learn through collaboration, research and experimentation.
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role of a captive animal insurance population and a sound understanding of captive population species management.
- An Employee status Working with Children Check for external candidates
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter through the Zoos Victoria careers page by visiting https://www.zoo.org.au/about-us/careers/
For more information on this role, please contact Deon Gilbert, Threatened Species Biologist email@example.com or Falk Wicker, Life Sciences Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close at 5pm 21st October 2020