Based at Healesville Sanctuary
Ongoing full time position; Monday to Friday roster with weekend Officer in Charge shifts as required
Salary $95,966 p.a. including weekend loading + 9.5% superannuation
Zoos Victoria operates three zoos: Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Victoria's zoos are made up of passionate, energetic and driven employees committed to fighting wildlife extinction. Every person plays an important role in helping the organisation realise its vision to become the world leading zoo-based conservation organisation.
Healesville Sanctuary has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, confident and enthusiastic Life Sciences Manager (LSM) to join the team. The LSM Visitor Engagement & Exhibits is responsible for the leadership of keeping staff, particularly the shaping the culture, supervision, management and skill/career development, maintaining relevant assets, and ensuring a high standard of health and welfare of wildlife in the collection. The LSM is in charge of a particular category of animals within Healesville Sanctuary. Under their charge is a team of Keepers made up of staff with varying levels of experience in the husbandry of the taxa under their control, the major responsibility of the Life Science Manager is to lead and manage this team of Keepers.
The successful candidate will:
- Work within the curatorial team and provide operational and strategic direction to other Life Sciences teams on site.
- Lead the Life Sciences Bird team responsible for Healesville Sanctuary's display aviaries and managing the Orange-bellied Parrot and Helmeted Honeyeater threatened species breeding programs.
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal and organisation skills and proven experience with promoting a positive team culture.
- Possess a sound knowledge of animal welfare principles, be accountable for ensuring animal's environments support their welfare needs and be committed to implementing animal training and enrichment programs.
- Lead the Life Sciences team in developing visitor experience programs that are integrated with animal care events, and have experience maintaining display exhibit standards.
- Animal Care and Management – Certificate III Captive Animals
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline eg zoology or animal behaviour.
- Cert IV in Workplace Training and Assessment.
The successful candidate will work with other Life Sciences Managers and the General Manager of Life Sciences to deliver the objectives of the Life Sciences department and Zoos Victoria across Healesville Sanctuary. We are looking for an experienced manager with the skills to develop and maintain positive and participative staff relationships in a dynamic zoo environment. The successful applicant must attain an Employee status Working with Children Check card.
For more information including a position description on this role and how to apply for this position, please visit Zoos Victoria Careers website https://www.zoo.org.au/about-us/careers/
Applications should include a resume and a maximum two page cover letter.
For further information, please contact Bronwyn McCulloch, on 03 5957 2866 or email email@example.com
Applications close at 5pm Friday 3rd January 2020.
Location Healesville Sanctuary
Category Life Sciences
Work Type Ongoing Full Time
Position Description Life Sciences Manager Visitor Engagement and Exhibits PD
Contact Name Bronwyn McCulloch
Contact Phone 03 5957 2866
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close On 3/1/2020 at 5:00 PM