Fixed term full time position (6 month contract), based at Healesville Sanctuary
- Salary from $95,966 p.a. + 9.5% superannuation
- Monday to Friday roster with weekend Officer in Charge shifts as required
Zoos Victoria operates three world-class zoos, Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Zoos Victoria is committed to fighting extinction, working locally and globally to deliver tangible conservation outcomes. Our vision is to be the world's leading zoo-based conservation organisation.
Healesville Sanctuary has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, confident and enthusiastic Life Sciences Manager (LSM) to join the team. The LSM Visitor Engagement & Exhibits is responsible for the leadership of keeping staff, particularly the shaping the culture, supervision, management and skill/career development, maintaining relevant assets, and ensuring a high standard of health and welfare of wildlife in the collection. The LSM is in charge of a particular category of animals within Healesville Sanctuary. Under their charge is a team of Keepers made up of staff with varying levels of experience in the husbandry of the taxa under their control, the major responsibility of the Life Science Manager is to lead and manage this team of Keepers.
The successful candidate will:
- Work within the curatorial team and provide operational and strategic direction to other Life Sciences teams on site.
- Lead the Life Sciences Bird team responsible for Healesville Sanctuary's display aviaries and managing the Orange-bellied Parrot and Helmeted Honeyeater threatened species breeding programs.
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal and organisation skills and proven experience with promoting a positive team culture.
- Possess a sound knowledge of animal welfare principles, be accountable for ensuring animal's environments support their welfare needs and be committed to implementing animal training and enrichment programs.
- Lead the Life Sciences team in developing visitor experience programs that are integrated with animal care events, and have experience maintaining display exhibit standards.
The successful candidate will work with other Life Sciences Managers and the General Manager of Life Sciences to deliver the objectives of the Life Sciences department and Zoos Victoria across Healesville Sanctuary. We are looking for an experienced manager with the skills to develop and maintain positive and participative staff relationships in a dynamic zoo environment.
Please refer to the attached position description. For further information on this role, please contact Bronwyn McCulloch. E: email@example.com P: 03 5957 2855
Applications close 11th June 2020.
For more information on applying and a position description, visit https://www.zoo.org.au/about-us/careers/
Successful applicant must attain an Employee status Working with Children Check card.