Based at Healesville Sanctuary
Ongoing full time position; Roster includes weekend work
Salary $104,679 p.a. including weekend loading + 9.5% superannuation
Zoos Victoria operates three zoos: Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Victoria's zoos are made up of passionate, energetic and driven employees committed to fighting wildlife extinction. Every person plays an important role in helping the organisation realise its vision to become the world leading zoo-based conservation organisation.
The Healesville Sanctuary veterinary department is located in the Australian Wildlife Health Centre, a state of the art facility designed specifically for animals and zoo visitors. The veterinary team provides a veterinary service to over 1600 animals at Healesville Sanctuary, conservation medicine support to critically endangered species breeding programs and a wildlife rehabilitation service for approximately 1600 wild animals per annum.
We are seeking a skilled and motivated Veterinarian to join the team. The primary role of this position is to assist in delivering appropriate standards for veterinary care with the Life Sciences Manager - Animal Health and Senior Vet and Senior Nurse for all animals presented. The associate veterinarian will assist with daily operations and planning to achieve this. Team work and good communication skills plus experience with some administrative tasks will be required.
The key responsibilities for the role are:
Providing preventative and curative health care to collection animals, endangered species programs, and sick or injured wildlife, including maintenance of medical records, nutrition and necropsy examination of deceased animals.
- Providing preventative and curative health care to collection animals, endangered species programs, and sick or injured wildlife, including maintenance of medical records, nutrition and necropsy examination of deceased animals.
- To contribute to disease investigation and surveillance programs as well as develop and lead focused research initiatives
- Work within the team through maintaining a progressive and collaborative professional work environment
- To assist in educating, training and mentoring of other veterinary staff, zoo keepers, wildlife carers and veterinary students
- To inspire conservation actions in our visitors through provision of engaging experiences
The successful applicant will be highly motivated, energetic, organised, attentive, work well under pressure. The successful applicant will also have the following;
- A current Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- At least 5 years practical veterinary experience, including a minimum of 2 years working in a zoo or wildlife facility
- Proven ability to implement effective work practices to maximise the health care and welfare of animals and the safety and wellbeing of staff.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Some experience in mentoring and training of staff and students
- An ability to work effectively in a team and independently
- An ability to engage with customers/visitors and promote Zoos Victoria's key messages
- Experience in and/or an understanding of the principles and methods of scientific research
- A current employee status Working with Children Check
You will be required to work a roster of five days per week, including regular weekends and public holidays. This role involves and requires regular physical work, as well as a current driver's license and the ability to possess a current firearms license. You should also be willing to participate in additional training as required.
For more information including a position description on this role and how to apply for this position, please visit Zoos Victoria Careers website https://www.zoo.org.au/about-us/careers/
Applications should include a resume and a maximum two page cover letter.
For further information, please contact Gerry Ross, Life Sciences Manager - Animal Health on 5957 2830 or email email@example.com
Applications close at 11pm Monday 27th October 2019.
Location Healesville Sanctuary
Work Type Ongoing Full Time
Position Description Associate Vet HS PD - September 2019.pdf
Contact Name Gerry Ross
Contact Phone 5957 2830
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close On 27/10/2019 at 11:00 PM