- Open to Trade Keepers
- Based at Healesville Sanctuary
- Fixed term, Full Time contract October 2022 to October 2023 (maternity leave cover)
Zoos Victoria operates three landmark zoos. Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Victoria's zoos are made up of passionate, energetic and driven employees committed to fighting wildlife extinction. Every person, from the extensive range of disciplines, plays an important role in helping the organisation realise its vision to become the world leading zoo-based conservation organisation.
Healesville Sanctuary have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, confident and enthusiastic Keeper to join the Presentations team. Reporting to the Life Sciences Manager, the preferred candidate will have previous experience working with a range of birds of prey (free flight) in a zoo environment along with knowledge of Zoo Victoria's philosophy, conservation and education. A positive mature attitude and enthusiasm to learn and develop your career is essential.
The candidate must possess:
- Qualifications in a zoological related discipline
- Experience with handling and caring for a range of birds of prey (free flight)
- Experience with handling and caring for a range of other bird species including parrots (free flight)
- Excellent understanding of animal training strategies, especially positive reinforcement
- Excellent presentation skills in front of large crowds
- A strong focus on safety and identifying hazards in the workplace
- Be a highly motivated, focused and cooperative team member with excellent listening and communication skills
- Possess a high level of interpersonal and conflict resolution skills, essential for working in a close team environment.
- Up to date COVID-19 vaccination status
- Employee status Victoria Working with Children Check Card.
As part of the Life Sciences team, you will be required to work a roster across a 7-day week, including weekends and public holidays if required. Be capable of completing highly physical work on a daily basis and hold a valid Australian driver's license.
For more information on this role, please see the attached position description.
To apply for the role, visit zoo.org.au/staff
If you have any questions about this role, please contact Life Science Manager, Presentations, Falk Wicker by email [email protected]
Applications close Thursday 29th September 2022 at 5:00 PM.
Zoos Victoria welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and people with disability. In addition, Zoos Victoria will provide reasonable adjustments for individuals with disability, illness or injury. If you require adjustments to the application, recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise via [email protected] and indicate your preferred method of communication (i.e. email, phone, text, National Relay Service) so we can meet your accessibility needs.