PART TIME POSITION 50+hrs/fortnight – 12 month contract
Maru Koala and Animal Park is a family run attraction in Grantville, southern Victoria near Phillip Island, that includes a ZAA accredited animal park, mini-golf, restaurant and retail areas. We have been operating for over 30 years with continual growth and development in the Maru business.
We are seeking an experienced Keeper who will provide wildlife care and husbandry across all of the mainly native animals in our care. Responsibilities will include general animal husbandry, welfare and condition training and providing animal encounters and presentations for our visitors to uphold high levels of animal husbandry and enhance the visitor experience. As a smaller business you will be able to work with a range of different wildlife animals to complete various keeper runs and also participate in the rehabilitation of animals brought into our licensed Wildlife Shelter for return to the wild.
Due to the continual growth of our business, optional further employment beyond the 12 month contract may be offered.
Our team currently needs experienced keepers so proof of your prior experience and sound knowledge of wildlife care will be paramount and those just completed studying with no paid keeper experience will not be considered. This position is part-time working a two week rotating roster which will include weekend, school and public holiday work that you must be available for.
- Obtained or are currently undertaking Certificate III in Captive Animal Management and/or a relevant tertiary qualification.
- Minimum of 1-2 years previous employment in a Wildlife park or Zoo as a paid keeper
- Experience in all aspects of animals husbandry of native animals
- A high level of professionalism and excellence in customer engagement including confidently giving public presentations and talks
- Highly self-motivated, organized and possession of strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be physically fit and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- A Current Driver’s licence
- A Police and Working with Children Check or agree to obtain one
- Have knowledge and experience with the ZAA accreditation framework including the Five Welfare Domains
- Sound and proven experience in all aspects of koala husbandry including browse identification and collection
- Sound and proven experience in all aspects of reptile and amphibian handling and husbandry including non-venomous snakes, monitors and crocodiles
- Experience leading and motivating a team enabling positive engagement with our team of volunteers
For a highly experienced applicant remuneration is negotiable according to the skill set that you can bring to Maru with the potential to move into the Park Manager role which we will be seeking to fill later in the year. This position is available for immediate start and applications will be considered as they are received which may make it challenging for interstate applicants to relocate in sufficient time due to current coronavirus restrictions in Victoria.
Apply with your cover letter and resume to:
The Manager via [email protected]m.au
Applications close COB Friday 15th October 2021