Fixed term part-time 0.8FTE 18 months contract
Roster includes working weekends every 3 weeks
Melbourne Zoo based
Salary from $115,315 p.a. full-time equivalent including weekend loadings + 10% superannuation
Zoos Victoria operates world-class zoos on three sites: Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Our Moral Purpose is - Fighting Extinction and creating a future rich in wildlife. Our vision is to be a world leading zoo-based conservation organisation, working locally and globally to deliver tangible conservation outcomes.
The Melbourne Zoo veterinary team provides veterinary services to animals at Melbourne Zoo and to nearly 1000 injured or ill wild animals per year many of them through the Zoo's Marine Response Unit. The Zoo's veterinarians also provide conservation medicine support to critically endangered species breeding programs based out of Melbourne Zoo.
We are seeking a skilled and motivated Veterinarian to join the Melbourne Zoo Animal Health Services team. The primary role of this position is to delivering appropriate standards for veterinary care alongside other members of the veterinary team and in partnership with the zoo's Life Sciences staff. Team work and good communication skills plus excellent analytical and writing will be required.
The key responsibilities for the role are:
- Providing preventative and curative health care to collection animals, endangered species programs, and sick or injured wildlife, including maintenance of medical records, nutrition and necropsy examination of deceased animals.
- To contribute to disease investigation and surveillance programs as well as develop and lead focused research initiatives
- Work within the team through maintaining a progressive and collaborative professional work environment
- To assist in educating, training and mentoring of other veterinary staff, zoo keepers, wildlife carers and veterinary students
- To inspire conservation actions in our visitors through provision of engaging experiences
The successful applicant will be highly motivated, energetic, organised, attentive, work well under pressure. The successful applicant will also have the following;
- A current Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- At least 5 years practical veterinary experience, including a minimum of 2 years working in a zoo or wildlife facility
- Proven ability to implement effective work practices to maximise the health care and welfare of animals and the safety and wellbeing of staff.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Some experience in mentoring and training of staff and students
- An ability to work effectively in a team and independently
- An ability to engage with customers/visitors and promote Zoos Victoria's key messages
- Experience in and/or an understanding of the principles and methods of scientific research
You will be required to work a roster of at least four days per week, including working 1 in 3 weekends and public holidays. Increase to a full time role can be discussed if desired. This role requires a current driver's license and the ability to possess a current firearms license. You should also be willing to participate in additional training as required.
For more information on this role, please refer to the position description attached.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume through the Zoos Victoria careers page by visiting www.zoo.org.au/hr
For more information on this role, please contact Michael Lynch [email protected]
Applications close COB 25th May 2022.
Zoos Victoria welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and people with disability. In addition, Zoos Victoria will provide reasonable adjustments for individuals with disability, illness or injury. If you require adjustments to the application, recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise via [email protected] and indicate your preferred method of communication (i.e. email, phone, text, National Relay Service) so we can meet your accessibility needs.
Download Position Description
TO APPLY VISIT https://hcm618.peoplestreme.net/zoosvictoria/erec_external.asp