1X 0.5 Ongoing Part-time Position
Open to Pre and Post Trade level Keepers
Roster includes working 2 in 4 weekends
Zoos Victoria operates three excellent zoos, Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Zoos Victoria is committed to fighting extinction, working locally and globally to deliver tangible conservation outcomes. Our vision is to be a world leading zoo-based conservation organisation.
Melbourne Zoo has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, ambitious and highly motivated Keeper to join the Ectotherm Precinct. Melbourne Zoo's Ectotherm Precinct maintains a diverse array of reptile, amphibian and invertebrate species and is directly involved in a number of conservation recovery programs. Reporting to the Life Science Manager, the Ectotherm Keeper will be responsible for providing daily husbandry and ensuring the health and welfare of all animals under their care, as well as maintaining excellent condition of their exhibits, workspaces and participating in various projects and other activities as needed.
Candidates must have a genuine interest in conservation and ecology, and possess prior experience working with ectotherms in a zoo environment, along with knowledge of Zoo Victoria's philosophy and vision. The Keeper will have experience working in a fast-paced team environment as well as confidence in working independently. A positive mature attitude and enthusiasm to learn and develop your career and capacity to continually progress the Precinct is essential. The Keeper will utilize evidence-based husbandry techniques to ensure the positive welfare state of animals in their care.
The candidate will have:
- Demonstrated experience and familiarity with the husbandry of ectotherms with a focus on invertebrates, reptiles and amphibians.
- Substantial professional experience working in a zoo environment.
- Open-mindedness and a willingness to accept new ideas and perspectives and a desire to learn through collaboration, reading, and experimentation.
- A strong focus on safety and identifying hazards in the workplace.
- The ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage and work closely with a diverse range of stakeholders and agencies.
- An understanding of Zoo Victoria's vision and values.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and well-developed problem solving skills.
Preferred experience will include:
- Accomplished in the environmental management of small display microhabitats and generally an up to date understanding of captive life support systems for ectotherms.
- Proven working knowledge of biosecure hygiene management and exceptional procedural standards, when working with wild release recovery programs.
- Demonstrated technical skills in the area of exhibit design and construction.
- Research and report writing experience.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and a resume via Zoos Victoria recruitment system.
For more information on this role, please contact Jon Birkett, Life Science Manager for the Ectotherm Precinct on (03) 9285 9379.
For more information including a position description on this role and how to apply for this position, please visit Zoos Victoria Careers website https://www.zoo.org.au/about-us/careers/
Applications close at 5pm Monday 30th March 2020.
Location Melbourne Zoo
Work Type Ongoing Part Time
Position Description PD Keeper Band P and T.pdf
Applications Close On 30/3/2020 at 5:00 PM