Fixed term Full-time Fixed-term opportunity until to 30/06/21 with possible extension
Open to Post Trade Level Keepers
Based at Melbourne Zoo
Zoos Victoria operates world-class zoos on three sites: Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Our Moral Purpose is - Fighting Extinction and creating a future rich in wildlife. Our vision is to be a world leading zoo-based conservation organisation, working locally and globally to deliver tangible conservation outcomes.
Melbourne Zoo has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, ambitious and highly motivated person to join the Ectotherm Precinct as an Amphibian Keeper. The Amphibian Keeper will assist the Amphibian Specialist Keeper with conservation actions detailed in ZV Wildlife Conservation Master Plan 2 (2019-24). The requirement for this level of expertise will be ongoing for the life of the priority ZV Fighting Extinction, Amphibian Recovery Program and Bushfire Response Plan to Future Proofing Victoria's Native Frogs.
Candidates must have a genuine interest in conservation and ecology, and possess prior experience working with amphibians in a zoo/captive environment, along with knowledge of Zoo Victoria's philosophy and vision. The Keeper will have experience working in a fast-paced team environment as well as confidence in working independently. A positive mature attitude and enthusiasm to learn and develop your career and capacity to continually progress the Precinct is essential. The Keeper will utilize evidence-based husbandry techniques to ensure the positive welfare state of animals in their care.
Preferred experience will include:
- Experience working in a captive animal environment and proven ability to raise and resolve animal welfare issues.
- Experience working with amphibians and/or reptiles - ideally in an environment that allows for/encourages reproductive events and management of breeding outcomes.
- Accomplished in the environmental management of small display microhabitats and generally an up to date understanding of captive life support systems for ectotherms.
- Proven working knowledge of bio secure hygiene management and exceptional procedural standards, when working with wild release recovery programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage and work closely with a diverse range of stakeholders and agencies.
- Open-mindedness and a willingness to accept new ideas and perspectives and a desire to learn through collaboration, reading, and experimentation.
- Proven ability to implement effective work practices that adhere to OH&S standards and other relevant legislative requirements.
- Demonstrated technical skills in the area of exhibit design and construction.
- Well-developed problem solving skills.
- The ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Engagement with/alignment with Zoo Victoria's vision and values.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of animal programs, such as ZIMS.
For more information on the role, follow the link to the position description.
Successful applicant will be required to undergo a pre-employment medical assessment.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and a resume via Zoos Victoria recruitment system.
For more information on this role, please contact Jon Birkett, Life Science Manager for the Ectotherm Precinct on (03) 9285 9379.
Applications will close 25th September 2020 at 5:00PM.
Location Melbourne Zoo
Work Type Fixed Term Full Time
Position Description PD_Keeper Band T 2017.pdf
Contact Name Jon Birkett
Contact Phone (03) 9285 9379
Contact Email email@example.com
Applications Close On 25/09/2020 at 5:00 PM