Fixed term, 9-month part time position (average 24hrs per week)
Roster includes weekdays and 4 weekend days every 4 weeks
Salary from $41.8819/hr including weekend loading + 10% superannuation
Zoos Victoria operates world-class zoos on three sites: Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Our Moral Purpose is - Fighting Extinction and creating a future rich in wildlife. Our vision is to be a world leading zoo-based conservation organisation, working locally and globally to deliver tangible conservation outcomes.
An exciting opportunity exists for an experienced veterinary nurse to join the Veterinary team at Melbourne Zoo.
As a member of our team, the ideal candidate will be highly motivated, enthusiastic, hardworking, well organised and able to work independently and under pressure. You will be required to assist in all aspects of zoo nursing including clinical work, laboratory work, animal husbandry and administration.
- Assess and apply best practice husbandry to monitor and maintain animal wellbeing to a broad range of collection and non-collection animal species in the veterinary hospital, including nursing care, rehabilitation, hand-rearing, animal enrichment, training and conditioning programs as required.
- Apply knowledge of the behaviour and husbandry of a broad range of taxa, with the ability to apply and monitor strategies and suggest ways to improve animal welfare. Able to recognise and report signs of abnormal health and/or behaviour of and take appropriate action
- Conduct safe and humane capture, restraint and transport for multiple taxa, of collection and non-collection animals
- Maintain accurate and detailed animal records; strong understanding of the animal record keeping and medical system; ability to access, analyse and retrieve records using the records system and software
What we're looking for:
- Demonstrate experience as Veterinary Nurse
- Knowledge in specialist areas including anaesthesia, clinical pathology, radiography, use of diagnostic equipment, dental vet nursing.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to be responsive and flexible in a dynamic environment and enjoy taking initiative when required
- A strong focus on safety
- Zoo, exotic and wildlife care will be highly regarded
To view the position description and to apply for this position, please visit www.zoo.org.au/about-us/careers Please submit a cover letter and resume through the Zoos Victoria careers page on the website.
If you have any questions about this role, please contact Jenny Kingston, Veterinary Hospital Supervisor, [email protected]
Applications close COB Tuesday 28th September 2021
Zoos Victoria welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and people with disability. In addition, Zoos Victoria will provide reasonable adjustments for individuals with disability, illness or injury. If you require adjustments to the application, recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise via [email protected] and indicate your preferred method of communication (i.e. email, phone, text, National Relay Service) so we can meet your accessibility needs.