· Fixed-term Full-time until October 2025
· Roster includes working 4 weekend days every 4 weeks
· Trade level Keeper only
· Salary starting from $76,637 p.a. + 10.5% superannuation
Zoos Victoria operates world-class zoos on four sites: Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary, Werribee Open Range Zoo and Kyabram Fauna Park. Our Moral Purpose is - Fighting Extinction and creating a future rich in wildlife. Our vision is to be a world leading zoo-based conservation organisation, working locally and globally to deliver tangible conservation outcomes.
Melbourne Zoo has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, ambitious and highly motivated keeper to join the Invertebrates, Birds and Pookila Precinct. The Precinct maintains a diverse array of species and is directly involved in a number of conservation recovery programs. Reporting to the Life Science Manager and working closely with the Pookila Specialist, the successful applicant will perform at an elevated level to support the Specialist in achieving the overall Pookila conservation breeding program objectives including daily operational requirements; with the goal of improving wild population recovery.
Candidates must have a genuine interest in conservation and ecology, and possess prior experience working with native small mammals in a zoo environment, along with knowledge of Zoo Victoria's philosophy and vision. The Keeper will have experience working in a fast-paced team environment as well as confidence in working independently. A positive mature attitude and enthusiasm to learn and develop your career and capacity to continually progress the Precinct is essential. The Keeper will utilize evidence-based husbandry techniques to ensure the positive welfare state of animals in their care.
The candidate will have:
- Cert III in Captive Animals or qualifications in a zoological related discipline
- Must have substantial professional experience working in a zoo environment with native small mammals
- Preferably have demonstrated experience and familiarity with the husbandry of native rodents
- A knowledge of captive native mammal conservation programs
- Accomplished in the environmental management of controlled microhabitats and an up to date understanding of captive life support systems for smaller animal
- Proven working knowledge of Biosecure hygiene management and exceptional procedural standards
- Field experience trapping, handling and releasing native mammals
- Open-mindedness and a willingness to accept new ideas and perspectives and a desire to learn through collaboration and readin
- A strong focus on safety and identifying hazards in the workplace
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage and work closely with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and well-developed problem solving skills
- Research and report writing experience
- Required to work the Birds, Invertebrates Precinct at Melbourne Zoo roster and maintain flexibility appropriate to the needs of the programs. This may include weekends, public holidays and early mornings/late evenings
- Immunisations appropriate to working with wildlife as required or willing to undertake immunization
- An up to date COVID19 vaccination status
- A current driver's license is required
- An Employee status Working with Children Check Card
For more information on this role, please refer to the position description attached to this vacancy.
To apply, submit a maximum two page cover letter and resume by visiting our current vacancies webpage at zoo.org.au/hr
If you have any questions about this role, please contact Kate Pearce [email protected]
Applications close COB 22 March 2023.
Successful applicant must be vaccinated against COVID-19 (2 doses) and able to provide evidence of this.
At Zoos Victoria we value diversity, celebrate difference and work to be inclusive in everything we do. We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, people with disability and people from the LGBTIQA+ community. In addition, Zoos Victoria will provide reasonable adjustments for individuals with disability, illness or injury. If you require adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process,?please advise via [email protected] or visit?https://www.zoo.org.au/about-us/careers/inclusion-and-diversity/ for more information.?
Position Description - Pookila Keeper
Location - Melbourne Zoo
Job Category - Animal Welfare
Work Type - Fixed Term Full Time
Application Close Date - 22/03/2023 17:00:00
Contact Name - Kate Pearce
Contact Email - [email protected]