- Trade level keeper only
- Fixed term full-time up to 12 months contract
- Roster includes working 4 weekend days every 4 week
- Salary from $76,637 p.a. including weekend loading + 10.5% superannuation
Zoos Victoria operates world-class zoos on three sites: Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Our Moral Purpose is - Fighting Extinction and creating a future rich in wildlife. Our vision is to be a world leading zoo-based conservation organisation, working locally and globally to deliver tangible conservation outcomes.
Melbourne Zoo has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and enthusiastic Keeper to join the Wild Sea Team. Reporting to the Life Sciences Manager, the preferred candidate will have previous zoo or aquarium experience working with marine mammals and a strong knowledge in applied behaviour analysis. Along with knowledge of Zoos Victoria's philosophy, conservation and values.
The Keeper will have experience working in a fast paced supportive team environment as well as confidence in working independently. Previous displays of leadership skills will also be highly regarded. A positive mature attitude and enthusiasm to learn and develop your career always aiming to provide best practice welfare goals is essential.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Trade level
- Cert III Captive Animals or equivalent trade certificate
- A good understanding of marine mammal natural history, husbandry, care, introductions and behaviour modifications.
- Previous experience with marine rescue is not essential but will be highly regarded.
- High attention to detail with ability to recognize health and behavioural concerns with fish species
- Understanding of Zoos Victoria's vision and values
- A strong focus on safety
- Strong communication skills
- An employee status working with children check card for external appointments
- Up to date COVID-19 vaccination status
Please provide a cover letter outlining your marine mammal training experience and address the selection criteria.
As part of the Melbourne Zoo Animal Husbandry Team, you will be required to work a roster across a 7-day week, including weekends and public holidays if required. Be capable of completing highly physical work on a daily basis and hold a valid Australian driver's license.
For more information on this role, please see the attached position description. To apply for the role, visit zoo.org.au/staff
If you have any questions about this role, please contact Life Science Manager Harna Burton [email protected]
Applications close COB 17th November 2022
Zoos Victoria welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and people with disability. In addition, Zoos Victoria will provide reasonable adjustments for individuals with disability, illness or injury. If you require adjustments to the application, recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise via [email protected] and indicate your preferred method of communication (i.e. email, phone, text, National Relay Service) so we can meet your accessibility needs.