As one of the largest open range zoos in the world, spanning more than 1,500 hectares of fauna and flora, we’re excited to have transformed from Monarto Zoo into Monarto Safari Park, the largest safari park that will exist outside of Africa.
Complete with a first-of-its-kind luxury resort and glamping facilities, by 2023 Monarto Safari Park will offer longer visits and a range of new and wild safari experiences in an area known as Wild Africa including incredible tours through herds of roaming animals and a huge walk-through lemur habitat. Not to mention, having also just opened a brand-new $16.8m Visitor Centre, funded by the Federal & State Governments, which offers our visitors world class entry to the park.
ABOUT THE ROLE...
The team at Monarto Safari Park are looking for an experienced and committed keeper to join the Ungulate and Carnivore sections in a fixed term maternity contract at 1.0FTE capacity, working alternate weekends. The contract dates are 4/9/2022 to 20/2/2023. Whilst the role is currently required to work across the Carnivore and Ungulate sections, the successful candidate may be required to work in other sections of the Life Sciences department, should operational needs require it.
This role is responsible for the daily husbandry aspects of a range of carnivore/ungulate rounds and the successful candidate must be motivated, organised, have great time management and show a desire to encourage these section to strive for corporate goals and objectives.
There is opportunity for further roles to become available within the Life Sciences department as a result of this appointment. Please advise in your application if you would like to be considered for potential future roles.
As part of our Life Sciences team, day to day tasks may include:
- Obtaining, preparing and providing food to animals in accordance with established diets, feeding schedules and procedures.
- Cleaning food and water vessels, holding areas, exhibits and food preparation and storage areas to required standards, ensure animal areas are maintained free of debris and hazardous materials.
- Providing animals with items required to meet their behavioural requirements
- Observing and reporting on animal behaviour and changes to the condition of animals.
- Maintaining diaries and animal records and report matters of interest to the Senior Keeper.
- Participating in the implementation and monitoring of behavioural enrichment and training and conditioning programs to affect animal behaviour and allow routine examinations and procedures without distress
- Undertaking formal presentations and ‘Keeper Talks' responding to questions, whilst presenting to public groups as well as the media.
- Working consistently in accordance with established safety procedures to ensure animal security, personal safety, protection of co-workers and the public.
- Working in line with relevant Policy and Procedures/Standard Operating Procedures and providing feedback and proactive suggestions for change as required.
To be considered for these positions you will need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Have or be working towards Certificate III in Captive Animals preferably with practical Zoo Keeping experience.
- Proven experience in a practical animal related role, preferably with carnivores and/or ungulates.
- Knowledge and understanding of Workplace Health & Safety principles and process.
- Hold a firearms licence (or be willing to obtain).
- A MR licence is desirable.
- Ability to drive manual vehicles required, with 4WD experience or training desirable.
- Bandsaw experience desirable.
- Able to deliver informative and engaging presentations that relay our conservation messaging.
- Experience in training and conditioning including an ability to establish and continue established training plans.
- Have a high level of communication and interpersonal skills with peers, staff, volunteers and public.
WHAT WE CAN DO FOR YOU...
Zoos SA are able to offer the following employee benefits:
- Income Protection
- Membership of the Royal Zoological Society of SA Inc – this also enables you and your immediate family free entry to any Zoo within South Australia
- 20% discount at the Retail stores at AZ and MSP
- Free Family Member tickets and discounted ticket prices
- Discounted Behind the Scenes (BTS) or Brief Animal Encounters (BAE) for employees
- Staff Well-being/Health Checks including Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) and Manager Assist Programme
- Professional Membership
- Salary Sacrifice
HOW TO APPLY...
Please complete the requested work history & education information on the application page, attach your resume and any certificates in the education section. This will assist us in assessing your suitability for this role.
Zoos SA is passionately committed to equal employment opportunity. We believe diversity, inclusion and reconciliation are fundamental to our rich organisational culture and values, and we demonstrate this commitment through all our employment practices so that our people continue to reflect the local communities in which we work.
If you have a strong passion in animal welfare, species conservation, and an eagerness to support the operation of a major safari park’s Life Sciences team, we would love to hear from you!
Please visit the Careers section of the Zoos SA website to apply.