Rare Opportunity – Casual Roles Available
As one of the largest open range zoos in the world, spanning more than 1,500 hectares of fauna and flora, we’re excited to be transforming from Monarto Zoo into Monarto Safari Park, the largest safari park that will exist outside of Africa.
Complete with a first-of-its-kind luxury resort and glamping facilities, by 2023 Monarto Safari Park will offer longer visits and a range of new and wild safari experiences in an area known as Wild Africa including incredible tours through herds of roaming animals and a huge walk-through lemur habitat. Not to mention, have also just opened a brand-new $16.8m Visitor Centre, funded by the Federal & State Governments, which offers our visitors world class entry to the park.
ABOUT THE ROLE...
Zoos SA is looking for experienced, motivated and enthusiastic keepers to register their interest for casual work at Monarto Safari Park working across a 7 day roster.
The successful applicants will be responsible for the daily husbandry aspects of their relevant rounds and must be motivated, organised, have great time management and show a desire to encourage this section to strive for corporate goals and objectives.
The successful candidate will be guided by Zoos SA’s values and work with the keeping teams to achieve the goals set out in the Strategic and Business Plans. In addition, they will, under general supervision and within specified guidelines, perform all keeping duties in a safe, efficient and effective manner. Experience working with a variety of animals, both native and exotic, is advantageous.
As part of our Keeping team, tasks may include:
- Have excellent communication skills as well as the ability to work well within a team and independently.
- Obtain, prepare and provide food to animals in accordance with established diets, feeding schedules and procedures.
- Clean food and water vessels, holding areas, exhibits and food preparation and storage areas to required standards, ensure animal areas are maintained free of debris and hazardous materials.
- Undertaking informal presentations and ‘Keeper Talks', presenting to public groups and responding to questions.
- Participate in the implementation and monitoring of behavioural enrichment and training & conditioning programs to effect animal behaviour in a positive nature.
- Provide the highest level of animal husbandry.
- Working consistently in accordance with established safety procedures to ensure animal security, personal safety, protection of co-workers and the public.
- Working in line with relevant Policy and Procedures/Standard Operating Procedures and providing feedback and proactive suggestions for change as required.
To be considered for this position you will need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Have or be working towards Certificate III in Captive Animals or other relevant and acceptable Zoo Keeping experience.
- Proven experience in a practical animal related role, preferably with carnivores, ungulates, natives and primates.
- Knowledge and understanding of Workplace Health & Safety principles and process.
- Ability to deliver informative and engaging presentations that relay our conservation messaging.
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills with peers, staff, volunteers and public.
If you would like to register your interest in working as a Keeper with Zoos SA, please ensure you complete the application process.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR INTEREST...
Please complete the requested work history & education information on the application page, attach your resume and any certificates in the education section. This will assist us in assessing your suitability for this role.
Zoos SA is passionately committed to equal employment opportunity. We believe diversity, inclusion and reconciliation are fundamental to our rich organisational culture and values, and we demonstrate this commitment through all our employment practices so that our people continue to reflect the local communities in which we work.
If you are an excellent keeper with a passion in animal welfare and species conservation, we would love to hear from you!
Please visit the Careers section of the Zoos SA website to apply.