Thank you for your interest in the above position. The following information will assist you in completing the application process and we look forward to receiving your application.
Set in 180 hectares, Orana Wildlife Park (Christchurch) is New Zealand’s only open range zoo. The Park is home to 1,000 animals representing over 90 different species. The focus of our collection is New Zealand native fauna and African savannah wildlife. Orana continues to work through our exciting development plan to ensure the Park continues to evolve into the future. Operated as a charitable trust, Orana fulfils an important role in managed zoo-based breeding programmes. As part of The Australian Rhino Project, construction of a new rhino facility is nearing completion; this is a joint international effort aimed at building an insurance population of white rhinos outside of Africa to help save this iconic species from extinction.
We have a fantastic opportunity for suitably skilled people to join our dedicated Exotic Species animal keeping team. You will need to be a highly driven and energetic person with a passion for
wildlife/animal care and public education.
The ideal applicant will possess the following skills and attributes:
- A minimum of two years animal husbandry experience.
- Experience caring for a variety of species.
- Responsible mature attitude and team player.
- Good communication, with a professional approach to visitors.
- A background in training/ conditioning animals is desirable.
- High level of physical fitness (heavy lifting will be required).
- Good practical and maintenance skills, e.g. exhibit maintenance, fence maintenance, electric fence repairs, etc.
- A qualification in zoo keeping (or similar) would be considered an advantage.
Duties will include:
- Providing daily care and welfare to a variety of animals.
- Involvement in zoo-based breeding programmes.
- Implementing behavioural enrichment programmes.
- Training and conditioning for health checks.
- Conducting fun, informative presentations to educate visitors on the plight of exotic fauna.
- Animal observations and record keeping.
- Maintaining animal enclosures and exhibits.
The working week for the position is to be determined and will involve working full time, 40 hours per week. This work roster may include working one or both weekend days. Hours of work are
8:30am to 5:00pm. Salary will be in accordance with skills and experience.
If you wish to apply, we invite you to request an application pack by calling us on 03 359 7109, emailing [email protected] or visiting www.oranawildlifepark.co.nz.
Please complete our official application form included in the pack and return to us by 5pm, Friday 29th July 2022 by either email or post to:
Manager of Exotic Species, Orana Wildlife Park, PO Box 5130, Christchurch 8542. We will review applications as they are received.