Zoological Parks Authority
PSCA, Specified Calling Level 3, $109,533 - $120,969 p.a. plus 9.5% superannuation
Perth Zoo gets hands-on in wildlife conservation, at home and beyond our borders. This is what makes us one of the world’s best inner-city zoos. One simple vision inspires and directs our work – a world where diversity of species and habitats is secure.
Similar appointments may be made from this process in locations throughout Western Australia within a 12-month period to positions that may be permanent or contract, including contract appointments with the possibility of subsequent permanency.
THIS IS A FIXED-TERM, FULL-TIME OPPORTUNITY FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS
(WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF EXTENSION OR PERMANENCY)
APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION CLOSE AT MIDDAY ON THURSDAY, 23 JANUARY 2020
- Manages the provision of an animal health service to the Zoo, including management of the veterinary hospital and staff, veterinary department budget, and student training.
- Promotes excellence in veterinary activities in the Zoo, including preventative medicine, nutrition, disease investigation and management, biosecurity and emergency animal care.
Applicants should address the following six (6) criteria. These should be addressed in no more than three (3) pages in total.
- Licensed, or eligibility, to practice veterinary medicine in Western Australia including a Tertiary degree in Veterinary Science and/or medicine.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor a small team of veterinary professionals.
- Experience in the management of an animal health practice in an environment relevant to the role.
- Substantial veterinary experience with a wide range of Australian and exotic species, including medicine, surgery, disease investigation and chemical restraint.
- Substantial knowledge of animal husbandry practice as it relates to non-domestic animal care in a captive environment, including captive breeding, nutrition, biosecurity and enclosure design.
- Highly-developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
Note: In accordance with relevant legislation and departmental policy, the successful applicant will be required to possess or obtain a current and satisfactory National Police Check prior to commencement.
For the full role description, detailed responsibilities and a full list of selection criteria, including those that are not required to be addressed in the written application, please refer to the attached Job Description Form.
For Further Job Related Information: Please contact Wendy Attenborough on (08) 9474 0330, or for further information about Perth Zoo, please visit www.perthzoo.wa.gov.au
Applicants should submit the following:
- A covering letter.
- A written response addressing the above six (6) requested criteria (in no more than three (3) pages).
- A current resume.
Failure to do so may jeopardise the selection panel’s ability to assess your application.
To ensure that you submit the required and appropriate information in your application, please read the attached Job Application Kit carefully. All documents attached with your application must be in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.
Submit applications via the Application page link
To avoid last minute congestion of the system, please endeavour to submit your application well before the closing time.
No late or proforma applications will be accepted.
Applicants are encouraged to apply online.
A search for additional applicants may be conducted for this position where necessary in order to provide a more diverse and/or competitive field.
Substantive Equality Statement
The Zoological Parks Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages Indigenous Australians, young people, people with disabilities, people from culturally diverse backgrounds and women to apply for positions within our agency. The Department also promotes flexible working arrangements.
Attachments: - DBCA Job Application Kit.pdf
- Job Description Form ZPA3120765.pdf