Australia Zoo has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced Zoo Keeper to join the Reptiles department.
As a keeper, you have primary responsibility for ensuring the care and wellbeing of the animals under your attendance. You must also be understanding and sensitive to the needs of the animals under your care. You are also responsible for the animals' exhibits, maintenance, landscaping and presenting at daily demonstrations where applicable. Australia Zoo expects all employees to be dedicated to conservation issues and animal welfare.
At Australia Zoo, keepers continually work towards providing improved facilities and care for their animals. They do this with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training.
This position will be specifically working with a large and diverse collection of reptiles including crocodilians and venomous snakes. Experience in a similar role would be preferred.
- Undertake cleaning and maintenance of the animal enclosures as required.
- Assist with the planning, development and construction of enclosures.
- Conduct animal health checks.
- Maintain records of observations and reports on animal behaviour and/or breeding.
- Conduct environment and enclosure safety checks.
- Undertake hands on care of animals.
- Undertake animal enrichment programs.
- Provide a high level of customer service at all times.
- Undertake public speaking and/or delivery of demonstrations.
- Knowledge of husbandry requirements.
- Take responsibility for skill development and progression / training sign off.
- Work within guidelines of health and safety procedures to ensure security of animals, staff and guests.
- Experience in a similar role
- Strong communication skills
- 7 day a week availability including Weekends, Public Holidays and School Holidays
- Applicants must be fit for physical work, enthusiastic, mature-minded, confident, well-presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work-ethic and initiative
- Manual drivers licence
Please send a cover letter and resume through to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 13th October 2019.