• Permanent Full Time
• Monday to Friday, 72.5 hours per fortnight, 9 day fortnight
• $84,366 - $87,879 per annum (LGIA Stream A Level 5) + Superannuation
• Location – Rockhampton
Your new role
This exciting position will provide high level operational support to the Curator/Director Zoo in the management of the Rockhampton Zoo, demonstrating a high degree of judgement, initiative, confidentiality and sensitivity. As a natural leader, you will manage staff and the day to day operations, ensuring that the Zoo is maintained to a high standard for the animals, legislative compliance, the team and the community.
You will work closely with the Curator/Director Zoo and be able to provide expert advice on the daily operation of the Zoo as well as be responsible for developing and delivering community educational presentations, and animal encounters to drive positive visitor experiences and maximise visitor numbers, positioning the Rockhampton Zoo as a leader in its field.
This position requires the completion of a satisfactory Criminal History Check - Police Certificate (Australia Wide Name Only Police Check).
What we are looking for
- Tertiary Qualification in Animal Husbandry/Zoology and/or extensive experience in similar positions in the Zoo industry, and extensive experience working with a diverse range of animal species.
- Strong leadership qualities and supervisory experience to lead and empower a positive and results focused team.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to problem solve, build relationships with all stakeholders and provide the best customer experience.
- Ambition to ensure that all outcomes, targets and regulatory responsibilities are met with optimum efficiency and effectiveness.
- Desirable – experience across a number of zoological facilities.
What you'll get in return
As an employee of Rockhampton Regional Council, you will join a diverse and innovative team of more than 900 employees supported by good leadership, who proudly deliver services and make a difference to the lives of people living and working within the region.
- Supportive Work/Life Balance
- A large employer with a strong values driven culture
- A generous superannuation scheme – Up to 18% superannuation (conditions apply)
- Ongoing training and development opportunities
- Corporate membership discounts
- Payroll deductions and salary sacrifice options
- 17.5% annual leave loading
- Wages paid fortnightly
- Employee Assistance Program
- Fitness Passport and active social clubs
What you need to do next
To apply for this opportunity, please submit two documents:
- A 3-4 page Cover Letter addressing the Application Criteria below;
- Your Current resume.
- Tertiary qualifications in Zoology (or relevant discipline) and/or substantial industry experience in a similar position.
- Extensive experience in the management of a diverse range of animal species, with a thorough understanding of procedures, statutory requirements, legislation and applicable standards in relation to a Zoo environment.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to identify opportunities and implement initiatives that improve visitor satisfaction and education.
- Extensive leadership experience with the ability to build a high performing team through coaching, mentoring and positive leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to engage, liaise and work effectively in collaboration with other departments within a large organisation.
Please use Council’s cover letter template and ensure you clearly label each Application Criteria in your cover letter.
Download the Position Description
Applications Close: Monday 21 June 2021 at Midnight (AEST)