SEA LIFE Melbourne Aquarium, King St & Flinders St
Melbourne, VIC, 3000
- Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium is one of Australia’s leading aquariums welcoming over half a million guests each year.
- Situated on the spectacular Yarra River, Melbourne is consistently ranked in the top 10 of The World’s Most Liveable Cities!
- Conservation is at the core of everything we do. Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium is involved in breeding, rescue and recovery programs, focusing on unique, endemic and threatened Australian wildlife.
Who are SEA LIFE?
SEA LIFE is the world’s largest aquarium brand, welcoming over 20 million explorers into our incredible underwater world every year. We focus on bringing the wonders of the sea to life through amazing visitor experiences, delivered by passionate, knowledgeable teams and great interactivity.
It’s all part of our mission to inspire a love for the ocean and its creatures – and to encourage people to protect them for the future. With 50 aquariums, 2 sanctuaries, and over 180,000 creatures, we bring our guests closer to the oceans than ever before. We are driven by a strong social responsibility with the vision to create a world where the global community respects, conserves, and sustainably manages our precious aquatic habitats, wildlife, and natural resources. We strive to achieve this goal through our 3 charities: Merlins Magic Wand, the SEA LIFE Trust, and the WILD LIFE Conservation Fund.
If you share our vision, passion and enthusiasm, dive in! We have a fantastic opportunity to join our team as CURATOR of SEA LIFE Melbourne Aquarium.
About the role
Reporting to the General Manager, you will be responsible for leading the Curatorial and Dive Teams.
On a day to day basis you will be:
- Ensuring best possible welfare of all animals at site, with protocols and programs meeting or exceeding global standards
- Leading the team to deliver world-class displays with a focus on team engagement and development for implementation of innovative and pioneering display plans
- Cultivating and inspiring guest-obsessed teams
- Ensuring effective use and maintenance of life support systems
- Driving the site’s rescue, breeding, conservation and research initiatives; strategizing for the implementation of new programs
- Working as an integral part of the SLMA senior leadership team to deliver attraction vision, business and capital plans
- Working closely with Marketing to align campaigns, PR, product and initiatives to deliver visitation and revenue targets
To shine in this role, you will have:
- A clear passion for and expertise in working with animals and the public aquarium industry
- A degree in a relate field and proven practical experience
- A strong background in people and performance management as gained through significant experience working as a Curator/Displays leader
- An understanding of life support systems, plant and equipment to ensure correct maintenance is carried out in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations
- A thorough understanding of animal welfare principles, animal behaviour, transport and husbandry development
- An understanding of Aquarium Health and Safety, as well as specialist aquarium diving activities that relate to the care and maintenance of aquariums
- Strong networking skills and links to industry partners
What we can offer you:
- Salary range of $110-$115k base, plus super and bonus schemes
- Chance to connect to key players within the global Aquarium industry
- Corporate benefits such as free entry to all our attractions WORLDWIDE and other corporate benefits
- Additional Leave, including birthday, wellbeing and volunteer leave to give back to a cause you care about
- Domestic and global opportunities to expand your skills and grow your career, including internal and external professional development courses
APPLY HERE: https://merlin.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/14385?c=merlin
Merlin is the company behind iconic brands such as SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, and Peppa Pig World of Play, delivering memorable experiences in over 120 attractions across 25 countries. Here in Australia, we are the leading operator of visitor attractions; our 10 attractions include SEA LIFE, Wild Life, Madame Tussauds, and the Fly Treetop Adventures, amongst others.
We are a business built on FUN, and a role with Merlin is unlike a job anywhere else. Every day we work our magic in a variety of wonderful ways, whether it’s counting penguins, crafting the perfect celebrity eyebrows or offering vital support behind the scenes, each of us are focused on creating magic memories for our guests every day, and it’s fair to say we love what we do!
Everyone Matters at Merlin.
At Merlin we welcome the world to our magical attractions and resorts every day and we want to reflect that same multicultural mix inside our business too. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workplace where people can be themselves, have the same opportunities and thrive together. Because at Merlin, everyone matters!
Together, we work to create a workplace where everyone feels valued, no matter their age, race, gender, disability or sexual orientation. Although we understand that we'll always be learning and growing, we aim to be the most inclusive and flexible employer in our industry.