About the Role:
You’ll support the Dugong Supervisor to deliver consistently high standards of animal husbandry and welfare to the animals within your designated section. You will be responsible for the cleaning, maintenance and presentation displays, ensuring that the highest animal welfare standards are met and completing records and documentation as required in line with legislative regulations.
Working alongside a passionate and talented team of aquarists and dugong keepers, this role will assist in the effective management of the dugong team, including the cross skilling of staff, scheduling and implementation of husbandry activities including maintaining trained behaviours, product quality control, cost control, as well as administration and reporting for the team. This role includes weekend work and bank holidays as required as well as providing emergency call out cover if necessary.
This role presents a unique opportunity to work with one of only 2 dugongs in human care worldwide. You will support the team in our conservation initiatives, raising money towards wild dugong research.
You are an enthusiastic, motivated, energetic and suitably experienced animal keeper and aquarist. You are observant and pay attention to detail. You have a high level of communication skills, sound planning, time-management, interpersonal and organisational skills and know how to identify and solve problems independently.
In order to be successful in this varied role the ideal candidate will demonstrate these essential and desirable requirements:
- Certificate III Captive Animals or similar qualification
- Experience in the animal training field
- Proficient knowledge and application of operant conditioning principles
- Excellent public speaking and visitor services skills
- Excellent observation and record keeping skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to swim confidently and be able to lift 20kgs
- Proven ability to work well in a small team
- Ability to lead, train and develop new staff
- You are able to work on a rotating roster, including weekend work
- Experience in aquatic husbandry and experience in maintaining life support systems
- Bachelor degree in biology, zoology, psychology or a related field
- Rescue diver qualification
- First aid and oxygen resuscitation training
We are MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS, Europe’s Number 1 and the world’s second-largest visitor attraction operator. Merlin runs 110 attractions in 23 countries across four continents. We aim to deliver memorable and rewarding experiences to our 54 million visitors annually worldwide, through our iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of our managers and more than 26,000 employees. Why do we do it? For the love of FUN!!!!!!
So, whether it’s meandering through our Great Barrier Reef exhibit, touching Cushion Sea-Stars at our rock pool or coming face to face with one of the only Dugongs on display in the world, these world class experiences are only made possible by the care, passion, dedication and commitment of our fantastic husbandry team, of which you will be an integral part of. These SEA LIFE teams are all built on the foundation of an incredible commitment to conservation and a need to share the beauty of our aquatic ambassadors with the world in an engaging and interactive way.
If you are a team player, and the thought of delivering this magic to over a million guests a year makes you smile, you are vibrant and passionate about educating guests and creating memorable experiences in a great company and team who Love What We Do, we want to hear from you!
Click for more information on how to apply