Penguin Keeper (Full-time)
SEA LIFE Sydney, 1-5 Wheat Rd; Darling Harbour
Sydney, NSW, 2000
Are you passionate about conservation and creating incredible guest experiences for our multitude of visitors? Are you longing to be a member of our Sub-Antarctic Penguin Husbandry team, looking after a waddle of King and a raft of Gentoo penguins? This recently opened state-of-the art exhibit features many world-first components.
We have a fantastic opportunity for you to join our dynamic Curatorial team as a Penguin Keeper.
About the Role:
Our Penguin Keepers enthusiastically participate in the husbandry and upkeep of our Sub-Antarctic Penguin collection, including routine maintenance of the exhibit and back-of-house areas, preparation of daily diets and penguin feeding, and assisting with our very exciting, fast-approaching first Gentoo penguin breeding season. We are interested to hear from potential staff who are reliable, hard-working, observant and passionate with a positive attitude.
Key responsibilities include:
- Perform and monitor daily feeds of our King and Gentoo penguin colony.
- Clean exhibit on a daily basis.
- Monitor penguins and public during public encounters.
- Observe penguins for any signs of stress or illness.
- Keep accurate records of all activities.
- Interact with our guests and enjoy public talks on a regular basis.
- Identify and develop and implement penguin behavioural management plans.
- Dive clean penguin pool
- Perform other duties as required.
- Science Degree: Marine Biology, Aquaculture or equivalent education, training and experience.
- SCUBA Diver – Rescue or willingness to obtain
- Current C class driver’s license
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Min 2 years experience in either an Aquarium, Zoo and/or Wildlife institution
- Aquarium Life Support and Water Quality experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Good public speaking skills
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
- Good problem solving skills
- Current First Aid / CPR / Oxygen Administration
- Boat Handling experience (Coxswains Unrestricted or restricted)
- ADAS Occupation SCUBA Part 1 or Aquarium Diver
- Live Specimen Collecting experience
- Blue Card (working with children’s check) or willingness to obtain
You are able to lift 50 lbs. to shoulder height, can carry materials, transport boxes, buckets, and frozen fish throughout the facility. You are able to work on a roster. You are able to stand, walk and work for long periods in a cold environment.
About The Benefits:
The salary is competitive and other perks include:
- Corporate benefits including free access to all our attractions worldwide
- Birthday leave and 3 volunteer days to give back to a social cause you care about
- Global opportunities to develop and progress your skills and career
- Being part of a business built fun
Merlin Entertainments is the company behind iconic brands like SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, and Peppa Pig World of Play. We operate in over 130 attractions across 25 countries, delivering memorable experiences to 54 million+ visitors a year. Why do we do it? For the love of FUN!!!!!!
So, whether it’s meandering through the Great Barrier Reef, touching Cushion Sea-Stars at our rock pool or coming face-to-face with a dugong these world class experiences are only made possible by the care, passion, dedication and commitment of our fantastic husbandry team, of which you will be an integral part of. These SEA LIFE teams are all built on the foundation of an incredible commitment to conservation and a need to share the beauty of our aquatic ambassadors with the world in an engaging and interactive way.
If you are a team player, if the thought of delivering this magic to over a million guests a year makes you smile, if you are vibrant and passionate about educating guests and creating memorable experiences in a great company and team who Love What We Do, we want to hear from you!
Click for more information on how to apply