SEA LIFE Sydney, 1-5 Wheat Rd; Darling Harbour
Sydney, NSW, 2000
Do you want to work with some of Australia’s most iconic animals in one of the world’s greatest visitor attractions? Are you passionate about conservation and creating incredible guest experiences? If the thought of delivering magic to over a million guests every year makes you smile, then we have an amazing opportunity for you to join our team here at SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium as an Aquarist.
About the Role
As a full-time Aquarist you will assist with maintaining and developing amazing public displays showcasing a variety of both temperate and tropical marine animals including but not limited to a wide variety of penguins, teleosts, elasmobranchs, invertebrates and a dugong with a primary focus on welfare and husbandry requirements, water quality and life support parameters.
- Science Degree: Marine Biology, Aquaculture or equivalent education, training and experience.
- SCUBA Diver – Rescue or willingness to obtain Current C class driver’s licence
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Min 2 years experience in either an Aquarium, Zoo and/or Wildlife institution
- Aquarium Life Support and Water Quality experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Good public speaking skills
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to liaise with front of house team members, and interact with guests to provide amazing and memorable experiences.
- Current First Aid / CPR / Oxygen Administration
- Boat Handling experience (Coxswains Unrestricted or restricted)
- ADAS Occupation SCUBA Part 1 or Aquarium Diver
- Live Specimen Collecting experience
- Blue Card (working with children’s check) or willingness to obtain
The salary for this role is competitive, and other benefits include:
- Corporate benefits including free access to all our attractions worldwide
- Domestic and global opportunities to develop and progress your skills and career in tourism and attractions
- Additional Leave (including birthday and wellbeing) and 3 volunteer days to give back to a social cause you care about
- Being part of a business built on fun
We are MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS, a global leader in location-based, family entertainment. As Europe's Number 1 and the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates 130 attractions, 20 hotels and 6 holiday villages in 25 countries and across 4 continents. Merlin’s purpose is to deliver memorable experiences to its 67 million guests around the world, through its iconic brands and multiple attraction formats, and the commitment and passion of its c.28,000 employees (peak season). Why do we do it? For the love of FUN!!
Whether it’s walking through the Great Barrier Reef, touching seastars at our rockpool or coming face to face with a dugong, these world class experiences are only made possible by the care, passion and commitment of our fantastic team.
Our SEA LIFE teams are all built on the foundation of a commitment to conservation and a need to share the beauty of our underwater workmates with the world!
So if you are a team player who is passionate about creating amazing displays and educating guests about the underwater world in a great company and team who Love What We Do, we want to hear from you!
Everyone Matters at Merlin.
At Merlin we welcome the world to our magical attractions and resorts every day and we want to reflect that same multicultural mix inside our business too. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workplace where people can be themselves, have the same opportunities and thrive together. Because at Merlin, everyone matters!
Together, we work to create a workplace where everyone feels valued, no matter their age, race, gender, disability or sexual orientation. Although we understand that we'll always be learning and growing, we aim to be the most inclusive and flexible employer in our industry.