Are you passionate about conservation, animal care, and creating incredible guest experiences for our multitude of visitors? We have a fantastic opportunity for you to join our dynamic Curatorial team as a permanent, full-time Aquarist at SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium.
About the Role
As an Aquarist, you will be involved with the day to day running of the aquarium. Your day could involve anything from SCUBA diving with turtles and sharks, training marine life, ensuring the 1.7 million litre oceanarium filtration is working correctly, or even conducting animal rescues.
Your responsibilities will include:
- A practical ability to create ‘wow’ displays in addition to performing routine animal care, cleaning, and maintenance of aquarium displays, in particular large marine animals and oceanariums.
- Ensure that accurate and up to date displays records are complete for all displays and livestock in accordance with SEALIFE and Merlin standards and local authority’s requirements.
- Have strong knowledge in specimen transports, water quality testing, quarantine, and necessary treatment.
- Interact with guests, management, veterinarians, and other individuals as required.
- Ensure excellent guest care at all times, working to Guest Obsession standards to coordinate effective and high-quality aquarist/keeper talks, guest interactions and presentations.
- Assist in the continual development of the display areas in line with the long-term goals of the SEA LIFE curatorial team.
- Minimum of 3 years of aquatic animal experience in a professional aquarium environment with demonstrated knowledge of safe animal handling practices and maintaining a safe working environment required. Experience working with a variety of marine and freshwater species of fish and invertebrates preferred.
- The ability to pass and maintain an occupational dive medical certification.
- Previous experience with the maintenance and operation of large life support systems including sand filters, canister filters, UV sterilizers, protein skimmers, and ozone generators is preferred.
- Valid diving certification and extensive dive experience required. A minimum of Aquarium Diver certification is also preferred.
- Ability to work weekends and flexible hours including on-call duties and after-hours events.
About the Benefits
The hourly rate starts at $22.76 and other benefits include:
- Corporate benefits including free access to all our attractions worldwide
- Birthday leave and 3 volunteer days to give back to a social cause you care about
- Autonomy to introduce disruptive thinking in your profession
- Global opportunities to develop and progress your skills and career
- Being part of a business built on FUN
Applications close 30th July 2021
Merlin Entertainments is the company behind iconic brands like SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, and Peppa Pig World of Play. We operate in over 130 attractions across 25 countries, delivering memorable experiences to 54 million+ visitors a year. Why do we do it? For the love of FUN!!
Whether it’s meandering through the Great Barrier Reef, touching Sydney Sea-Stars at our rockpool, or coming face-to-face with a dugong, these world class experiences are only made possible by the care, passion, dedication, and commitment of our fantastic husbandry team, of which you will be an integral part. These SEA LIFE teams are all built on the foundation of an incredible commitment to conservation and a need to share the beauty of our aquatic ambassadors with the world in an engaging and interactive way.
If you are a team player, are vibrant and passionate about educating guests and creating memorable experiences in a great company and team who love what we do, and the thought of delivering this magic to over a million guests a year makes you smile, we want to hear from you!
Everyone Matters at Merlin.
At Merlin we welcome the world to our magical attractions and resorts every day and we want to reflect that same multicultural mix inside our business too. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse workplace where people can be themselves, have the same opportunities and thrive together. Because at Merlin, everyone matters!
Together, we work to create a workplace where everyone feels valued, no matter their age, race, gender, disability or sexual orientation. Although we understand that we'll always be learning and growing, we aim to be the most inclusive and flexible employer in our industry.