Full Time Position (40hrs). Working across a 7day roster, weekends, public holiday and night work included.
Shoalhaven Zoo is a family owned business operating on the South Coast of NSW displaying a mix of exotic and native animals.
About the Roles:
There are currently 2 positions available at the Shoalhaven Zoo; a General Keeper position and a Presenter position. Both position report to the Manager on duty.
The Presenter position will have the main responsibility of hosting the Mobile Zoo program, conducting school tours and lessons, conducting private experiences at the zoo, during these duties this person will also undertake days on site at the zoo as a general keeper.
The General Keeper position will learn all aspects of working at the zoo including work in the zoos knackery. This will also include general maintenance of exhibits, carrying out preventative health, daily husbandry of animals in all sections of the zoo, daily shows and presentations and conducting private experiences.
These positions are potentially working with birds, mammals including primates and big cats and reptiles including venomous snakes and large crocodiles.
You are an enthusiastic motivated individual who is committed to a career in zoo keeping and looking to make a long term commitment. You are a zookeeper, which means you most likely have and breed your own pets at home and are knowledgeable about your preferred taxa. Zoo keeping is a physically demanding job, that not only involves challenging duties but also can involve odd hours. Zoo keeping is hard work, often referred to as a lifestyle choice rather than a career.
• Cert III in captive animal management or equivalent
• 1-2yrs paid or unpaid keeping experience
• Team player
• Good work ethic and time management skills
• The Presenter role requires a confident bright bubbly personality
• Ability to work a rotating roster
• First Aid certificate and ability to maintain it
• Working with Children Check
• Manual Drivers license
• An ability to quickly adapt to a fast paced environment, with a focus on maintaining high safety standards for all animals and public
• An interest in construction
• An interest in the husbandry and breeding of birds
• Experience in browse and koala leaf identification and collection
So if you are confident in yourself and your abilities as a keeper and are willing to back yourself up in person write a cover letter outlining your suitability and include your CV and email your application to:
Applications close end of business 31st January 2020
Applicants that are contacted for interviews must be available to interview onsite and may be asked for an impromptu presentation.