Animal Collection Coordinator/Registrar (Curatorial)
Sydney Zoo is a new, large metropolitan Zoo currently under construction in Western Sydney. Sydney Zoo showcases a broad range of native and exotic animals using modern technology and advanced exhibit design with a strong focus on animal welfare and conservation, educating our visitors about animals and their habitats. Environmental and social awareness also plays a vital role in our messaging, focusing on indigenous culture and human influence on the environment.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an exciting new zoo in the role of Animal Collection Coordinator/Registrar (Curatorial), utilising your skills in an area that you are genuinely passionate about. This role will commence as soon as possible.
Reporting to the General Manager Life Sciences, this role is to assist with management and planning of the Sydney Zoo animal collection, via species management planning, record keeping and government compliance. This person is responsible for assisting the Sydney Zoo Curatorial team with all aspects of animal transactions, both international and local, all animal related approvals; government and association based, coordinating partnerships with zoo associations and managing all animal-based record keeping.
This role provides oversight to the Curatorial department in regard to training, processes, procedures and policies and the successful candidate will have experience in these areas. The role also provides secretariat services to the Sydney Zoo Animal Welfare Advisory Committee.
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Experience
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a zoo or relevant industry experience.
• Extensive experience in the management of animals through species management programs, TAGS etc.
• Knowledge of ZAA Accreditation program and other ZAA processes.
• Extensive knowledge and experience with international and national animal transfers and quarantine requirements for both animal movements both within Australia and overseas.
• Strong network within the regional and international zoo industry.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Excellent computer skills including use of ZIMS and Microsoft office suite.
• Driver's licence and the ability to drive a manual vehicle.
• Demonstrated commitment to the conservation of species and ecosystems.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work independently or positively contribute to a team environment.
• Previous animal keeping experience would be advantageous.
• Must have a valid passport or be willing to source one and be willing to undertake regular overseas travel as required.
• Recognised qualifications in captive animal management and/or zoology/biology or equivalent experience.
Hours of work are typically Monday to Friday; with work on public holidays, weekends and after hours an occasional requirement.
Please apply directly via the Sydney Zoo Website Careers Page https://sydneyzoo.com/about/careers
Applicants will be required to provide a current resume and a covering letter outlining your ability to meet the above selection requirements.
Applications close Midday Wednesday 22nd January 2020.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with a disability are encouraged to apply for all Sydney Zoo positions. If you require assistance, please be sure to contact us by email to email@example.com or by phone to 1800 843 966.
Please direct any requests for further information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sydney Zoo is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and Cultural Diversity.