Sydney Zoo is a new large metropolitan Zoo that opened December 2019. Sydney Zoo showcase a broad range of native and exotic animals using modern technology and advanced exhibit design. A strong focus on animal welfare and engaging our visitors with our animals’ natural history and their conservation challenges. Environmental and social awareness also plays a vital role in our messaging, focusing on indigenous culture and human influence on the environment. Sydney Zoo’s Animal Care Team continually work towards providing excellence in animal care and facilities with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an exciting new zoo for an experienced elephant manager in the role of Elephants & Ungulates Curator utilising your skills in an area that you are genuinely passionate about.
Responsibilities will include all aspects of managing the Zoo’s Elephants and other Hoof Stock, their habitats and Elephant & Ungulate team members.
This is a permanent position to be an ongoing long-term dependent on working rights within Australia. Full-time position encompassing 38 hours per week and is subject to a 6-month probation period
Remuneration: AU$86,000 - AU$90,000 gross per annum.
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Experience
As a leader with at least 10 years’ experience you will be responsibility for all aspects of animal care and staff management. Tasks and competencies for this role will include:
- Husbandry aspects including - training, feeding and caring for a variety of Hoof Stock species including elephants.
- Understanding and demonstrating the ability to apply sound classical and operant, conditioning methodology to all behavioural situations.
- Training and conditioning of animals in this section for health checks and changes in their environment.
- Maintaining hygiene standards across all animals on section including - dust bathing, daily skin care, wash downs and foot-care for the elephants.
- General husbandry skills including animal observation and thorough animal facility cleaning and maintenance.
- Excellent general husbandry skills pertaining to the nutritional requirements of animals in your care.
- Understanding and proficient in the use of ZIMS for maintaining all records.
- Demonstrated ability to address or treat minor medical issues.
- Exercising and enrichment of all animals in team’s care especially the elephants.
- Participate in Visitor engagement including presenting an interactive animal program and answering visitor’s questions.
- Taking responsibility for all animal movements between habitat and back of house areas.
- An understanding and demonstrated ability in all aspects of elephant veterinary husbandry.
- Extensive demonstrated experience working ‘hands-on' with elephants.
- Good understanding of principles of health and safety working in and around elephants, rhinoceros and giraffe.
- Sound knowledge in animal behavioural training methodologies and demonstrated ability to apply them with elephants in a protected contact situation.
- Good overall knowledge of elephant natural history and husbandry management.
- High level of physical fitness as this is a very physical role
- Flexible availability and willing to work weekends and public holidays Committed and passionate about a long-term career with elephants and large animals.
- Experience driving tractors and/or trailers.
- Comfortable and confident in the use of simple light machinery.
- Experience in the use of ZIMS animal record keeping programme.
- Knowledge of plant identification.
- Driver's license
Please note that all applicants will be required to possess working rights within Australia and/or be eligible for including the ability and willingness to pass background checks.
Please apply directly via the Sydney Zoo Website Careers Page https://sydneyzoo.com/about/careers.
Applicants will be required to provide a current resume and a covering letter outlining your ability to meet the above selection requirements. Applications close Midday Wednesday 8th April 2020.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with disability are encouraged to apply for all Sydney Zoo positions. If you require assistance, please be sure to contact us by email to email@example.com or by phone to 1800 843 966.
Please direct any requests for further information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sydney Zoo is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and Cultural Diversity.