Sydney Zoo is a new large metropolitan Zoo currently under construction in Western Sydney with an expected opening date set for the second half of 2019. Sydney Zoo will showcase a broad range of native and exotic animals using modern technology and advanced exhibit design with a strong focus on animal welfare, educating our visitors about animals and their habitats plus their conservation. Environmental and social awareness also plays a vital role in our messaging, focusing on indigenous culture and human influence on the environment.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an exciting new zoo in the role of Primate Keeper, utilising your skills in an area that you are genuinely passionate about. This role will commence as soon as possible.
The Primate Keeper will be responsible for ensuring the primate collection is managed to the highest level of husbandry and welfare, as well as maintaining primate habitats at a world class standard.
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Experience
- Demonstrated experience with primates including a minimum of 2 years’ paid experience in a zoo or equivalent industry working with primates.
- Extensive experience in the management of animals.
- A demonstrated knowledge of the Five Domains of Animal Welfare.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Driver’s license and the ability to drive a manual vehicle (preferable).
- Demonstrated commitment to the conservation of species and ecosystems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work independently or positively contribute to a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a small team.
- Proven ability in carrying out daily keeping duties to a high standard ensuring all husbandry and welfare needs are met.
- Recognised qualifications in captive animal management and/or zoology/biology or equivalent experience (desired).
- First aid certification (desired).
- White card certificate (desired).
Please apply directly via the Sydney Zoo Website Careers Page https://sydneyzoo.com/about/careers
Applicants will be required to provide a current resume and a covering letter outlining your ability to meet the above selection requirements. Applications close midday Friday 1st November 2019.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with disability are encouraged to apply for all Sydney Zoo positions. If you require assistance, please be sure to contact us by email to email@example.com or by phone to 1800 843 966.
Please direct any requests for further information to firstname.lastname@example.org.