Primate Keeper at Sydney Zoo
Sydney Zoo is a new, large metropolitan Zoo in Western Sydney. Sydney Zoo showcases a broad range of native and exotic animals using modern technology and advanced exhibit design with a strong focus on animal welfare and conservation, educating our visitors about animals and their habitats. Environmental and social awareness also plays a vital role in our messaging, focusing on indigenous culture and human influence on the environment.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an exciting new zoo in the role of Keeper in our Primate team, utilising your skills in an area that you are genuinely passionate about. This role will commence as soon as possible.
The Keeper will be responsible for ensuring the primate collection is managed to the highest level of husbandry and welfare, as well as maintaining primate habitats to a world class standard.
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Experience
- Demonstrated experience with primates including a minimum of four years’ paid experience in a zoo or equivalent profession working with primates.
- A demonstrated knowledge of the Five Domains of Animal Welfare.
- Experience with Great Apes will be preferable.
- Strong visitor engagement focus.
- Driver’s license and the ability to drive a manual vehicle (preferable).
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of WAZA conservation strategy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work independently or positively contribute to a team environment.
- Proven ability in carrying out daily keeping duties to a high standard ensuring all husbandry and welfare needs are met.
- Recognised qualifications in captive animal management and/or zoology/biology or equivalent experience.
Please apply directly via the Sydney Zoo Website Careers Page https://sydneyzoo.com/about/careers
Applicants will be required to provide a current resume and a covering letter outlining your ability to meet the above selection requirements.
Applications close Midday Wednesday 4th March 2020.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with disability are encouraged to apply for all Sydney Zoo positions. If you require assistance, please be sure to contact us by email to email@example.com or by phone to 1800 843 966.
Please direct any requests for further information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sydney Zoo is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and Cultural Diversity.