Sydney Zoo is a new large metropolitan Zoo that opened December 2019. Sydney Zoo showcase a broad range of native and exotic animals using modern technology and advanced exhibit design. A strong focus on animal welfare and engaging our visitors with our animals’ natural history and their conservation challenges. Environmental and social awareness also plays a vital role in our messaging, focusing on indigenous culture and human influence on the environment. Sydney Zoo’s Animal Care Team continually work towards providing excellence in animal care and facilities with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an exciting new zoo in the role of Manager Veterinary Services, utilising your skills in an area that you are genuinely passionate about. The role will commence as soon as possible.
The Manager Veterinary Services (MVS) will be responsible holistic preventative Animal Health Care & Veterinary Services. Take a leading role in Veterinary Science, Research and Conservation Medicine. Play a leadership role in the Veterinary department and as a member of the Snr Animal Care Team. The MVS will be responsible to build, develop, maintain and manage relationships with Universities, Veterinary Faculties and local veterinary practices. The MVS is responsible for the safe use of veterinary medicines and formulation and maintenance of veterinary health and safety procedures.
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Experience
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a zoo or relevant/equivalent veterinary industry experience.
- Extensive experience in the health, welfare and management of zoo animals.
- Strong teamwork skills.
- Driver's license and the ability to drive a manual vehicle (preferable).
- Demonstrated commitment to the conservation of species and ecosystems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work independently under broad direction or positively contribute to a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a small team including setting directions, monitoring work, supervising staff, providing feedback, managing performance and assisting the Senior Team to resolve grievances if required.
- Proven ability in carrying out daily veterinary duties to a high standard ensuring all animal health, husbandry and welfare needs are met.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team to develop and implement animal diets.
- Knowledge of and commitment to Workplace Health and Safety
- First Aid Certification (desirable)
- Firearms Licence (desirable)
Please apply directly via the Sydney Zoo Website Careers Page https://sydneyzoo.com/about/careers
Applicants will be required to provide a current resume and a covering letter outlining your ability to meet the above selection requirements. Applications close Midday on Friday 26th June 2020..
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with disability are encouraged to apply for all Sydney Zoo positions. If you require assistance, please be sure to contact us by email to email@example.com or by phone to 1800 843 966.
Please direct any requests for further information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sydney Zoo is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and Cultural Diversity.