Aquatics · Eastern Creek, New South Wales
Aquarist at Sydney Zoo
Sydney Zoo is a new, large metropolitan Zoo in Western Sydney. Sydney Zoo showcasing a broad range of native and exotic animals using modern technology and advanced exhibit design with a strong focus on animal welfare and conservation, educating our visitors about animals and their habitats. Environmental and social awareness also plays a vital role in our messaging, focusing on indigenous culture and human influence on the environment.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an exciting new zoo in the role of Aquarist, utilising your skills in an area that you are genuinely passionate about. This role will commence as soon as possible. The Aquarist will be responsible for providing efficient and effective animal husbandry to ensure excellent animal welfare that enhances the visitors experience with the species in our care.
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Experience
- Minimum 2-5 years’ experience in a zoo or aquarium or relevant/equivalent industry.
- Advanced Open Water Dive licence with PADI and current First Aid certification.
- Willingness to obtain Stress and Rescue Dive certification complete with
either PADI or SSI and advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy
certification within six months.
- Demonstrated experience in the Five Domains of Animal Welfare and how it
is applied in husbandry of the wide range of species in Zoo’s care.
- Strong focus and skilled in Visitor Engagement.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Conservation and Sustainability.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or positively contribute to a team environment.
- Proven ability in carrying out daily keeping duties to a high standard ensuring all husbandry and welfare needs are met.
- Valid and current driver’s licence with the ability to drive a manual vehicle (desirable).
Please apply directly via the Sydney Zoo Website Careers page https://sydneyzoo.com/about/careers
Applicants will be required to provide a current resume and a covering letter outlining your ability to meet the above selection requirements. Applications close at 5pm Monday 24th January 2022.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with disability are encouraged to apply for all Sydney Zoo positions.
Sydney Zoo is a fully COVID-19 vaccinated workplace. We will require proof of your vaccination status prior to commencement. Please contact us for general enquiries, including if you have any queries regarding our policy or to obtain a copy of the Sydney Zoo Vaccination policy.
You can contact us by email [email protected] or by phone to 1800 843 966.
Sydney Zoo is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and Cultural Diversity.