- Located at Sydney’s Iconic - Taronga Zoo!
- 12-month contract, part time position
- Part Time - 3 days per week
- TCSA Salaried Employees Award, Clerk Grade 5/ 6, annual package $104,809 (includes base salary $93,295 + 11% superannuation) – Pro Rata for hours worked
Taronga Zoo Sydney is looking for a confident and creative Communications Officer to join our Media and Communications team!
This position is well suited to a deep thinker and imaginative storyteller with a passion for turning the stories of Taronga, its animals and its people into meaningful communications.
This role is embedded across the organisation and works alongside world-leading conservationists, scientists, veterinarians and keepers. It would be well suited to a practiced, public relations professional or journalist looking to work in a new purpose-led and dynamic environment.
About the Role…
The Communications Officer inspires connections between wildlife and people by generating meaningful content and media coverage of current and future projects.
The role will focus on communicating the organisation’s purpose across external media to support the fundraising objectives of the Taronga Foundation, strengthen Taronga’s reputation as well as leading in the generation of visual and written communications materials to assist in raising awareness of new projects.
- Capture relevant conservation, science and wildlife stories to connect audiences to Taronga’s purpose and support the Taronga Foundation
- Undertake interviews with key zoo stakeholders, record appropriate overlay and produce videos and stills assets
- Undertake detailed research of scientific and conservation and liaise with affiliated NSW and Federal Government agencies to effectively communicate shared conservation and science programs
- Write and edit news releases, speeches, internal presentations, fundraising proposals, feature stories and social media content
- Develop, plan and implement multi-channel communication strategies to support organisational objectives and position major projects.
- Draft, develop and maintain key messages and Q&As that effectively communicate major projects
- Provide advice and respond to emerging issues by providing timely crisis communications and issues management support
We are looking for candidates that have:
- Tertiary qualifications in Media, Communications or Journalismdiscipline or an equivalent combination of specialised knowledge, skills and experience
- Working with Children Check clearance and NSW Driver’s License
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Extensive experience in media relations, media liaison, stakeholder communications and issues management
- Experience in photography and videography desired
Our employees enjoy generous employment conditions including some of the following:
- Flexible Hybrid work model - Taronga supports a blend of in-office, remote, and on-the-go workers!
- Complimentary family and friends passes across both Taronga’s Sydney & Dubbo Zoo’s
- A wide range of discounts on our award-winning accommodation across both sites
- Discounted food and beverage purchases across the sites
- Fitness Passport
- + more!
We Value Diversity…
Taronga is an equal opportunity employer, where we recognise the diversity of our workforce and community – be it on the basis of gender, age, culture, religion, language or personal circumstances.
Taronga is also committed to building on the perspectives, experience, knowledge and skills that this diversity brings to our organisation.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter of one page. You are also required to complete the two target questions as part of your application.
- Please provide an overview of your range of experience in managing media and communications activity and why you feel it is suited to this role.
- Provide an example of a campaign where you managed to achieve impactful communications results.
Applications Close: 11:59pm Wednesday 27 September 2023