At Tasmania Zoo, we know that keepers are passionate about nature and animals – and not just the ones they work with! Our natural state is renowned for an abundance of unique wildlife, beautiful scenery and a more relaxed pace of life. As a ZAA Animal Welfare Accredited member we participate in regional and international conservation programs.
We are currently in an active growth phase as our zoo family continues to expand with many new species and projects, as such we are seeking to add passionate and driven keepers to our team and to help push the zoo forwards.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced natives keeper to join our dedicated team. This role will mainly focus on the care of the native mammal round, including but not limited to; wombats, kangaroos, wallabies, possums, sugar gliders and bilbies. As a small team this role will require flexibility and you may be required to work across our extensive collection at times. This is a full-time keeping position involving a high standard of animal care, excellent exhibit presentation, training and conditioning, exhibit maintenance/landscaping, food preparation and keeper presentations and encounters. Hours are 5days per week, 7.6hrs daily including weekends and public holidays, salary dependent on experience.
- Proven experience working within a captive animal facility
- Experience working with native mammals; wombats, macropods, koalas, etc
- Certificate 3 in Captive Animal Management or similar
- Motivated and hard working
- High level of physical fitness
- Attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Time management skills
- Basic maintenance skills
- Team player
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Full drivers’ license (manual preferred)
- Experience in identifying and cutting koala browse
- Experience in hand-raising native mammals
If you are an enthusiastic, hard-working person with a genuine interest in making a difference for animals and conservation, we would love to hear from you.
Please submit your resume and cover letter outlining skills and experience to [email protected] by c.o.b Friday 11th December 2022.
Please note: Only applicants short listed will be contacted.