Part-time Experienced Horticulturalist
WILD LIFE Sydney, 1-5 Wheat Rd; Darling Harbour, Sydney, NSW 2000
Would you like to work for one of Sydney’s star attractions ensuring that our guests have a magical experience from start to finish?
We have an amazing opportunity to join our team at WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo as an experienced Horticulturalist in a part-time capacity.
About the role:
All of our roles are focused on ensuring that our guests are having the most amazing experiences, and here at Merlin we have a real focus on FUN!! This role is responsible for providing horticultural services that support the creation and maintenance of authentically themed, immersive and multi-sensory displays that support positive animal welfare and to build guest connection with Australian habitats and wildlife. This includes the presentation of animal habitats and site gardens, monitoring and maintaining tree health and collecting animal food (browse) and exhibit furniture for animals of WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo.
You will need to meet the following selection criteria:
· Certificate IV in Horticulture (or equivalent).
· Certificate III in Arboriculture highly desired but not essential.
· Minimum 3 years’ experience in a horticulture setting with experience in a zoo horticulture setting highly desired.
· Excellent plant identification skills, particularly Australian natives.
· Demonstrated a passion for promoting awareness of native Australian fauna and flora.
· Demonstrated ability to be flexible, cope with frequent and unpredictable changes to daily routine and workloads, and to work, at times under high pressure.
· Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work unsupervised, assess tasks and set priorities for self.
· Current (or willingness to obtain at own expense) NSW Working with Children Check.
· Full NSW Driver’s License (manual).
Please submit a maximum ONE-page cover letter addressing the selection criteria and a maximum TWO-page resume. You must be available to interview on Tuesday 20th of October.
Please follow the link to apply.
About the Benefits:
The salary is competitive and other perks include:
· Corporate benefits including free access to all our attractions worldwide
· Birthday leave and 3 volunteer days to give back to a social cause you care about
· Autonomy to introduce disruptive thinking in your profession
· Global opportunities to develop and progress your skills and career
· Being part of a business built on fun
Merlin Entertainments is a global leader in location-based, family entertainment. As Europe's Number 1 and the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates 130 attractions, 20 hotels and 6 holiday villages in 25 countries and across 4 continents. Merlin’s purpose is to deliver memorable experiences to its 67 million guests around the world, through its iconic brands and multiple attraction formats, and the commitment and passion of its c.28,000 employees (peak season). Why do we do it? For the love of FUN!!!!!!
In the middle of Darling Harbour an amazing animal adventure is also a fantastic place to work! Whether you’re making the best skim flat white or introducing some of our furry and scaled friends to our guests; every role in our zoo is fun and friendly.
We are all about creating memorable experiences for our guests through animal experiences, fascinating animal facts and offering mementos of your visit. There’s also a strong conservation message threaded through our experience which is a core value for all our team. Oh, and the uniform is great too because everyone looks good in khaki!
If you love animals, feel passionate about conservation and love sharing your enthusiasm with others then we could have the job for you! If you are a team player who is vibrant and passionate about creating memorable experiences and educating guests in a great company and team who Love What We Do, we want to hear from you!