Wellington Zoo is committed to its vision of being the zoo with the biggest heart. We care about making connections between animals, people and our environment, while growing love and support for our Zoo. We punch above our weight in leading the way through connecting people with animals, saving animals in the wild and ensuring we’re a voice to be heard.
We have an exciting permanent full time vacancy for an Animal Care Team Leader Herbivores and Birds. The successful applicant will be responsible for the efficient and integrated daily operations of animal husbandry and management of the Zoo’s Herbivores and Birds section. They will also be responsible to our Animal Care Manager for ensuring our Keeping staff are supported and developed. They are responsible for the highest standards of animal husbandry, excellence in animal care and welfare, and providing our visitors with exciting message driven experiences.
To be considered for this opportunity you will need to have:
- A minimum of six years’ experience in animal management, husbandry and working with animals in human care;
- A National Certificate in Animal Management - Captive Wild Animals (or equivalent) or University degree in a Zoological related discipline;
- Substantial experience providing husbandry care and species management across a variety of herbivores and birds species;
- Experience in habitat maintenance and the ability to design, review and develop habitats that maximise the connections with animals for visitors;
- Demonstrated experience motivating, coaching and developing staff;
- Sound knowledge of the World Zoo and Aquarium (WAZA) Conservation Strategy, WAZA Animal Welfare Strategy and the five domains of animal welfare;
- Effective planning, organising, time management and written and verbal communication skills.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or be eligible to apply for valid NZ work visa.
Applications close end of business Friday 17th January 2020.
For more information on this vacancy please download the Job Description. To submit your application, click ‘Apply for this job’ to direct you to our application site. For more information on Wellington Zoo please visit https://wellingtonzoo.com