Wildlife Health Services: Veterinarian
Wellington Zoo is committed to its vision of being the zoo with the biggest heart. We care about making connections between animals, people and our environment, while growing love and support for our Zoo. We punch above our weight in leading the way through connecting people with animals, saving animals in the wild and ensuring we’re a voice to be heard.
We currently have an exciting position for a qualified Veterinarian to join our team at The Nest Te Kōhanga on a permanent full time basis. Reporting to the Wildlife Health Services Manager the successful candidate will work closely with The Nest Te Kōhanga team to deliver an integrated ecohealth approach to veterinary care for our zoo and wildlife species. The Nest Te Kōhanga treats over 500 native wildlife species per year along with providing healthcare for our treasured zoo animals.
You will be a part of a passionate and committed team and have the opportunity to work closely with our conservation partners and engage members of our community on our conservation journey.
The Nest Te Kōhanga also works in partnership with Wildbase, Massey University and provides an integral part of the Wildbase residency programme. This collaborative relationship also delivers specialist veterinary support and training for The Nest Te Kōhanga team.
Attributes required for this role:
• A current veterinary qualification that is recognised in New Zealand
• A minimum of three years demonstrated veterinary experience working with zoo animals and New Zealand wildlife species
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
• Capability in mentoring veterinary undergraduate, post graduate and veterinary nursing students
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft applications and web-based research and familiarity with zoo record systems such as ZIMS
• Excellent communication skills and confidence in engaging with our visitors
Attributes desired for this role:
• Previous experience in large animal or mixed animal practice
• A demonstrated understanding of conservation medicine and ecohealth principles
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or be eligible to apply for valid NZ work visa.
For more information on this vacancy please download the Job Description from the Wellington Zoo careers link.
Applications close end of business Friday 31st January 2020.
For more information on Wellington Zoo please visit https://wellingtonzoo.com