Wildlife Health Services: Veterinarian
Wellington Zoo is committed to its vision of being the zoo with the biggest heart. We care about making connections between animals, people and our environment, while growing love and support for our Zoo. We punch above our weight in leading the way through connecting people with animals, saving animals in the wild and ensuring we’re a voice to be heard.
We currently have an exciting position for a qualified Veterinary Technician to join our team at The Nest Te Kōhanga on a permanent full time basis. Reporting to the Wildlife Health Services Manager the successful candidate will work closely with The Nest Te Kōhanga team to deliver an integrated ecohealth approach to veterinary care for our zoo and wildlife species.
The Nest Te Kōhanga treats over 500 native wildlife species per year along with providing healthcare for our treasured zoo animals. You will be a part of a passionate and committed team and have the opportunity to work closely with our conservation partners and engage members of our community on our conservation journey. You will be a part of a passionate and committed team and have the opportunity to work closely with our conservation partners and engage members of our community on our conservation journey.
The Nest Te Kōhanga also works in partnership with Wildbase, Massey University and provides an integral part of the Wildbase residency programme. This collaborative relationship also delivers specialist veterinary support and training for The Nest Te Kōhanga team.
To be considered for this opportunity you will need to have:
• A current veterinary technologist qualification or equivalent qualification and or experience that is recognised in New Zealand
• Minimum 2 years of clinical vet nursing experience
• Demonstrated veterinary nursing experience. Experience with wildlife and exotic animals is an advantage
• The ability to work unsupervised
• A proactive attitude supported by an attention for detail and excellent observational and time management skills
• A good level of PC literacy and familiarity with medical record systems.
• Excellent communication and visitor engagement skills.
This is a permanent Wellington based role and applicants must have NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
Applications close end of business Friday 21st February 2020.
For more information on Wellington Zoo please visit https://wellingtonzoo.com