At Wellington Zoo, we are the Zoo with the biggest heart: a creative, innovative and progressive zoo. We are a team of powerfully passionate individuals who are champions for the welfare of all animals - within and beyond the boundaries of the Zoo. We are guided by our kaupapa, “Me Tiaki, Kia Ora!” We must look after our environment, so all things will flourish.
About the role
Our goal for Wellington Zoo’s conservation work is to make a genuine and ongoing contribution to saving wildlife and wild places in Wellington, in New Zealand, and around the world. We will achieve this by working with our community, supporting our partners, developing our people, and leading projects for impact on the ground.
We are looking for a passionate, motivated Conservation Manager to ensure our Zoo continues to build its reputation and capability in conservation.
What we’re looking for in an applicant
As this role is primarily about engaging others, the successful candidate will need to have excellent relationship management skills and a proven ability to influence others to follow your vision. We are looking for someone:
• With a strong green furry heart;
• Who can ensure that the Zoo’s conservation work punches above its weight;
• That can ensure Wellington Zoo is a voice to be heard for conservation and the conservation work and value of Zoos;
• With a practical understanding of conservation both locally and globally;
• With experience in delivering conservation programmes;
• With an understanding of the role of conservation in progressive zoos;
• With a commitment to save animals in the wild;
• And a relevant tertiary qualification or equivalent experience.
What we’re offering as an employer
• The opportunity to be part of a passionate and committed team that is dedicated to animal welfare, sustainability initiatives, community engagement and conservation outcomes
• An exciting and varied place to work
• Five days Conservation Volunteering Leave per year of employment to work on a conservation project
• Sick leave entitlement from the start of employment
• Yearly allocation of Zoo passes and Zoo Close Encounters that can be shared with family and friends and discounts on Zoo products.
• The ability to enjoy the Zoo every day.
• Annual flu vaccinations.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
For more information on this vacancy please download the Job Description from our Careers site https://wellingtonzoo.qjumpersjobs.co To submit your application, click ‘Apply for this job’ through the same link.
Applications must be received by close of business Friday 17 July 2020
For more information about the position open the PDF Conservation Manager June 2020
To find out more about Wellington Zoo please visit https://wellingtonzoo.com