Welcome to our wild party! At Wellington Zoo we are guided by our kaupapa “Me Tiaki, Kia Ora!” and are committed to a vision of being the Zoo with the biggest heart. We have a strong green furry heart and care about making connections between animals, people and our environment. We punch above our weight in leading the way through connecting people with animals, saving animals in the wild and ensuring we’re a voice to be heard.
About the role
We currently have a permanent full-time Keeper position available within our Animal Care Team. Reporting to one of our Animal Care Team Leaders, the successful candidate will be responsible for the daily husbandry, welfare and care of a variety of species, including but not limited to habitat maintenance and management, specialised diet preparations, enrichment programmes, animal training and one-on-one interactions with animals. There’s also a good dose of engaging with Zoo visitors and answering their questions, observing animal behaviour, and lots of thorough record keeping. A Keeper also needs to keep up with the latest research on animal care, welfare and behaviour to make sure that Wellington Zoo is giving absolute gold star care to all our animals.
Wellington Zoo is dedicated to giving our animals a really good life. Animals at Wellington Zoo are treated with dignity and respect, their quality of life needs are met, and Wellington Zoo is positioned as a leader in the zoo profession: an advocate and an authority on animal welfare best practice.
What we’re looking for in an applicant
· A minimum of one years’ experience working with a variety of species in human care and their daily husbandry. Experience working with primates would be advantageous.
· National Certificate in Captive Wild Animals, Certificate in Zoo Keeping or equivalent qualification.
· Knowledge of behavioural and environmental enrichment techniques.
· The ability to work with limited supervision, solve problems and work well in a team environment.
· The flexibility to work on a roster that includes weekends and public holidays.
· Good written and verbal communication skills combined with excellent visitor engagement skills.
What we’re offering as an employer
· The opportunity to be part of a passionate and committed team that is dedicated to animal welfare, sustainability initiatives, community engagement and conservation outcomes.
· An exciting and varied place to work.
· Five days Conservation Leave per year of employment to work on a conservation project with the permanent position.
· Sick leave entitlement from the start of employment.
· An extra accrued week of annual leave after 5 years continuous service.
· Allocation of Zoo passes and Zoo Close Encounters that can be shared with family and friends.
· Zoo product discounts.
· The ability to walk around and enjoy the Zoo every day.
· Annual flu vaccinations.
To find out more about what we do and what we care about please visit https://wellingtonzoo.com
Applicants for these positions should have or be able to attain NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
For more information about this great opportunity please download the Job Description. To apply follow this link to our careers page:
Applicants for this position should have or be able to attain NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
Wellington Zoo wants a diverse workforce that reflects Aotearoa New Zealand. As an inclusive organisation we welcome everyone to our wild party. We are committed to accepting, valuing and embracing the diversity of all people. We are working towards Rainbow Tick certification.
Applications close 5pm Sunday 17 October 2021.