Ready to take the next step in your wildlife career?
Are you motivated, passionate and have strong leadership skills?
Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas is seeking a motivated Senior Keeper: Birds to assist the Wildlife team leader in ensuring the smooth day to day operations of our wildlife department. The successful applicant will demonstrate a sound knowledge in all aspects of animal husbandry, have strong interpersonal leadership skills, be able to lead by example, and assist in guiding and growing a team working with Australian wildlife. The role may include coordination of our International Volunteer program and team. If you are experienced, committed, driven, and with a passion for our native fauna, then we want to hear from you.
Your application should include your resume plus a brief cover letter stating how you meet the Selection Criteria.
• Minimum Cert III or IV in Captive animal Management or equivalent . Minimum 3 years paid experience in the Captive Animal industry with sound knowledge of Australian Avifauna
• Excellent Presentation/show skills, accompanied with a high standard of personal presentation. Able to deliver high standards of customer service within a busy work environment in a friendly professional manner.
• Perform daily husbandry for a large and diverse collection of birds and mammals, utilising evidence-based husbandry practices to ensure optimal health and welfare of wildlife.
• Maintain exhibits, service areas, husbandry equipment, tools and life support systems.
• Possess exceptional observational husbandry and time management skills, with the ability to problem solve and effectively communicate with senior management.
• Closely monitor and document animal behaviour, health and welfare, reporting irregularities immediately and maintain detailed, accurate records.
• Experience supervising, guiding, growing and training team /junior keepers/ volunteers/trainee keepers, following all policy and procedures.
• Skills to develop and implement training & conditioning plans to a range of different avians.
• We are a 7 day a week operation. Full availability required over weekends and school holiday periods is essential.
• Manual drivers licence essential.
• Experience working with ZIMs.
• Experience working with birds of Prey.
• Experience ordering supplies and stock management
• Maintain live feeder insect colonies would be an advantage.
• Current First Aid qualifications would be an advantage.
• Appropriate fitness to walk long distances, stand for long periods and ability to carry / support up to 10kg for a prolonged period.
Join the CaPTA Group and become part of the large family we have across our multiple businesses!
If this sounds like the perfect role for you, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Check us out at: https://www.capta.com.au/